Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rock'n'Roll Gear Review

Here I am the morning of the Seattle Rock'n'Roll 1/2 last Saturday. I'm going to admit I broke a major rule X 7.

Don’t try anything new on race day

This is not the time to experiment with things you haven’t already tried on several training runs.

  • Don’t wear new shoes, but your existing shoes should have no more than 500 miles on them.
  • Stick to the same clothing that you have been wearing during your training. Anything new may cause discomfort and prohibit you from running your best.
  • To avoid discomfort or upset stomach, don’t eat or drink anything new close to or on race day.
Here is what I wore new on race day ~ Nike Hat, Strappy Sports Bra (Running Skirts), Running Skirt, Compression Shorts, iFitness Running Belt, CEP Compression Socks, & Asics Shoes. I decided I'd do a review of all these items. I've had lots of questions regarding my socks. Here it goes.

Besides the photo of me above I don't have another pic of the hat. Hats are one of my main running accessories since I sweat horribly and I hate having my eyes sting. Even though this hat felt light, for some reason my head felt a little warm around 2-3 miles. I'm pretty sure it just has to do with me naturally starting to get hot as I run. I didn't notice anything negative after that. It kept the sweat and any sun that peaked through the clouds out of my eyes.
Strappy Sports Bra in Surf/Size XS ~ I already own 2 of the strappy sports bras and I love them. They have removable pads that are great to prevent embarrassment on cold mornings and for added support. They wash and wear well. No pinching or rubbing. They are considered medium support so if you are looking for maximum strapping power or if you are bigger than a C cup you might want to try something else. I don't know if I'm happy or offended by the fact that I wear an XS.
Running Skirt in Surf Pool/Size 3 ~ I now have 2 Athletic Skirts and 4 Running Skirts including this one so I have ran in them before. They are all made with sweat-wicking material and are super light and comfortable. They have two pockets with velcro closures. These are great for your iPod, gels, etc. I wear a size 3 in the running skirts and a size 2 in the Athletic Skirt. The Athletic Skirts have attached compression shorts and run a bit larger.
Since I was wearing the Running Skirt I also chose to wear some black compression shorts I bought for cheap. I didn't want to have to worry about possible chafing. My skirt felt fabulous the whole time and the shorts never rode up or caused any issues. Together it was the perfect match for the run.
iFitness Neoprene Running Belt/Race Number Holder ~ There were several options for running belts available at the Expo. I decided to go with this one after trying them all on. This one fit great and didn't bounce at all. It is waterproof which is a huge must for me. Besides being a sweaty runner I live in Washington, nuff said. I was also looking for something that would hold my race bib. It's painful getting a new running shirt/shorts and having to stab it with safety pins and spend the time trying to get the bib even. The toggles for the bib worked great and took seconds to attach. For race day I had my ID, some cash, salt tabs, and two bags of GU Chomps in it and barely noticed it was on.

Here's what their website had to say~
Water resistant pouch will keep your iPhone or Blackberry safe from rain or sweat. An inner pocket will hold your ID and credit cards safely. Two reflector strips in the front and one in the back for your night time runs. This belt will not bounce, chafe or ride up while you run! Also featured are two toggles to hold your race number, under the pouch.

There are many colors and options to choose from.

CEP Running Progressive Compression Socks/Womens Size 3 ~ I have wanted these forever, okay, for a very long time :) I want the green ones but they were sold out at the Expo. I decided to go ahead and try them on. The guy at the booth was very helpful and gave me hints on how to get them on and off. As soon as I pulled the first one up I was sold. I loved how it made my leg feel and it fit my foot great. I couldn't leave without them. Plus, as a bonus if you wear them during a race and submit your photo at the finish line they will send you a second pair. As much as I dread spending money on myself it was a win/win situation.

Race morning my legs and feet felt great in them. With the few hills on the course I worried about them rubbing my feet but they stayed put the whole time. I also wondered if they would make my legs feel too hot, itch, or pinch but I had zero issues. My legs and feet felt amazing the whole race. I look forward to wearing them again. This was my favorite race day item.

Here are the website details ~

Give yourself an edge with CEP Running Progressive Compression Sports Socks featuring 18-25mmHg compression. All the same great features as the original CEP Running O2 Sports Socks, but with a sleek new design. Used by professional triathletes around the world, CEP running socks are the first scientifically proven compression running socks to maximize power, boost energy, and speed recovery time. See what all the buzz is about and try CEP Running Progressive Compression Socks today. With a 30-day money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose. Available for men and women in white or black. Sold per pair. CEP Running O2 Sportsocks maximize muscle oxygenation and boost energy with CEP's unparalleled scientifically optimized ultimate compression technology for all-day benefits. You’ll run with less effort, increased speed, decreased recovery time, reduced fatigue and optimized performance. The days of wearing socks “solely” to protect feet from blistering are over. CEP compression sportsocks are the first truly functional compression sport socks with a patented pressure flow technology that provide a scientifically proven increase in blood circulation and a consequent increase in performance. In addition to blister prevention, CEP socks provide more oxygen, more energy, an improved metabolization of lactic acid, and faster recovery so you can return to training quicker than ever. Sizing - To determine your size, measure the circumference of the fullest part of your calf. Advantages & Features:
Pre-exercise - muscle activation and reduction of injury risk
During Exercise - optimized performance and stabilization, reduced muscle strain
Post-Exercise - quicker and shorter recovery phase
Achilles heel support - additional support of the Achilles tendon protects and prevents irritable tendons.
Ventilation channels – create a pleasant foot climate.
Padded sole - special support of the foot sole prevents blisters.
Anatomically-shaped inline seams – CEP socks come with a left and right model and, as a result, adjust to the anatomy of the foot for a perfect fit thanks to medi’s three-dimensional manufacturing process.
CellTex ® Fiber finishing - a new refinement of thread (without chemical additives) facilitates the biological activation of skin cells and provides a comfortable, skin sympathetic and climate-regulating wear.
iPS® Integrated power system - a defined compression with scientifically patented pressure profile improves blood circulation and enhances performance.
Shin protection
Material - 85% Polyamid, 15% Elasthan

ASICS Gel Foundation 9/Womens Size 10 ~ I was able to wear these to my last physical therapy appointment but I never had a chance to actually run in them before the race. I have never had an issue putting on a new pair of Asics and going on a long run so I was hoping to have the same luck. They felt great on my feet with the combination of my CEP socks. No rubbing or issues throughout the race. Another great pair of shoes. The balls of my feet were a little tender later that day and the next. I don't think this had anything to do with the shoes. I'm pretty sure it was just from going up and down the hills on the course.

These shoes are designed for moderate to severe over-pronators. It is considered a maximum support shoe which was recommended for me to help stabilize my knees as I run.

Overall I am very pleased with my outfit and race results. I was feeling badly about not getting the training in I usually do. I was also worried after my experience last year with getting sick/cramps from the Cytomax on the course. At least I did that right and didn't try anything new food/drink wise. I loved the whole experience this year. The only bad part is that it's over.

Any of you try a running item that you loved? Suggestions? Questions? I'd be happy to hear from you!!!

3 comments:

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I need one of those belts. That sounds great!

I wish I had realized about sizing down on the athletic running sirt. I loove so many things about them but m y 2s are a touch big.

Kerrie said...

Sounds like you got lucky trying all that new stuff on race day! I have wanted to try the socks. Someday.

And I LOVE my neoprene iFitness belt. Totally a must for WA! I need the one with race bib toggles!

Great reviews!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Hey I broke a run too, I wore my new pink skirt on Marathon day...URGH!! But it was a huge success, I totally agree that compression shorts with the skirt on top is a huge success. I was so comfortable. GREAT reviews Stacie!