Toward the end of Fair Week Madness I had a race scheduled. I think this was my third year. It is a route that starts close to the fair grounds and does a big looping course. I have been averaging about 5-6 hours sleep every night so I'm going to admit I had a rough time crawling out of bed this morning. Jason had committed himself to helping another family we know so I was on my own. I snapped a quick pic and headed out.
I was very excited to see a few people I knew when I pulled into the parking lot. I picked up my bib and stretched a bit. I forgot my water bottle but my awesome friend, Cody, felt pity on me and shared his water. His Mom took a couple pics and we headed to the start. I've felt more and more exhausted each day of the fair. I had no idea what to expect. I just didn't want to be last. They blew the horn and we were off. It was an 8AM start so even though it was cool, it felt perfect as I started to run. About 2 miles in a couple passed me. I then decided to focus on them and pulled them right back in. They weren't ahead of me for long. I'm not going to lie. I was STOKED about that. I am not a fast runner so I was determined not to let them catch me again. With about 1/2 mile to go I saw Cody coming back to coach me in. He has been gone for two years on a mission so I have missed his support at all of our local races. This was our first run together since he returned. He was great at motivating me but not being pushy about it. He really is a great kid. He stayed with me to the last corner and I sprinted to the finish. I felt great!!! It was a wonderful way to start the day. The best part was I placed 1st in my age group - and yes, there were three of us in that bracket so I won fair and square and not by default :) Cody also got 1st in his age group. Jason's cousin, Rhonda, who I ran with in the Cheese Day Race got first overall female.
It's true that you never regret a run. Today just had some great bonuses. I hope to get the pics from Cody's camera soon.
5 comments:
congratulations for everyone for doing so well! I love the fact that you reeled those two in. Too bad people don't have times on the backs of their shirts to motivate us to do just a little more when we are running ...
Awesome job!!
Great job!
And you even squeezed a race into the mix?? Congrats!
Way to go Stacie, poor exhausted tall girl!
Post a Comment