Monday, September 13, 2010

Woodinville Super Sprint Triathlon Report


It's official.  I'm a triathlete.  Very odd to me after being "only" a runner for so long.  I have to admit, I think I'm hooked.

4:30AM 

The night before I barely slept.  Even after Tressa called me at 9:30 to let me know we were pushing back our departure time to 4:30am my body refused to take advantaged of those extra minutes of sleep.  I think I roughly managed 2-3 hours before getting up before my alarm at 3:10 to shave my legs and get my stuff together.  We made it to Tressa's before 4:30 and transferred our stuff over to their vehicle.  Somewhere in the fray my water bottle fell out of their car and didn't make it.  Luckily,  I had a sports drink and Diet Mt. Dew as a backup until we got there.
The drive up went smoothly and soon we were there.  Looking over at the water and check-in area a huge rush of anxiety came over me.  I hadn't been this nervous in awhile.  I'm always nervous before an event regardless of whether its big or small but this was a whole new experience.  I really had no idea what to expect.  
Tressa & I went to check-in and get our swag bags.  I loved getting marked up.  I was happy with my 777 on my arm but having your age advertised on your calf, not so cool :) We ended up with a bag, dried plums(I know, you're jealous), a water bottle, yellow cotton t-shirt, and a car/stadium blanket.  We also entered the drawing for a free wetsuit.  I held my tradition of not winning anything but I have to say I'm pretty happy with the blanket.
After setting up our transitions we made a restroom stop and walked down to the water and through the transition areas.  This did not help with the nerves but at least I had a better idea of what to expect.  We headed back up to the boys to drop off some of our stuff and I had to grab my chomps to take back to transition.  We only had a few minutes since we had to get back down to get our swim caps on, take off our warm clothes, and get to the race meeting at 7:45 down at the water.

Me & My Transition Area.
Tressa & I Heading To The Water.

Tressa and I hung out together at the start while we tried to listen to the race announcements.  We kept looking for our boys and Tressa's Mom was supposed to show up.  Soon the Elite group was swimming and our color groups started to get a little more organized as we crept closer to the water.  Tressa disappeared but I saw her with her boys before she started.  Soon her wave was off and it felt like my heart was going to explode.  Soon it was my waves turn.  As we walked down into the water several girls were dunking down in the water, splashing it up on their arms, etc.  I wasn't in a hurry to do any of these things.
Waiting To Get In The Water.
Observe The Crazy People Splashing Around Me.

Before I knew it, the woman was waving her swim noodles to signal our start.  I walked in as far as I could knowing that would get me further than swimming immediately.  I think about half way to the first bouy it all hit.  The cold water, the nerves, my accelerated heart rate, and trying to manage anything close to a normal swim form was a lot to deal with.  It's hard to pay attention and focus on individual things when it is loud and there is chaos going on all around you.  The sound of my frantic breathing focused me a little.  I took that opportunity to turn on my back and swim that way for awhile.  After doing that I just broke it all down like I do a run.  Bouy #1, Bouy #2, and then the shore.  Luckily, my love for the water helped. I know that with some real training this could be a part of the race I really love.
I Was Smiling A Lot As I Got Closer To The End.

SWIM TIME 14:12.1 (400 yds)

T-1 3:25.1

I felt great coming out of the water.  Maybe this was a sign I didn't work hard enough.  I tried to hurry to T-1.  I was feeling awesome until I had a small shoe string fail.  It panicked me for a minute.  I was already feeling the pressure from what I felt was an extremely slow swim.  I grabbed my bike and headed out.  I have the worst time trying to get my feet in the clips on the pedals.  I got one in but not the other.  Since my shoes were damp the first part of my ride was frustrating since my unrestrained shoe kept sliding around on the pedal.  Once I was able to get it all together I soon discovered the joy of the ride.  I quickly came up on other riders.  I watched other people further up passing so I just went for it.  Once I did, I didn't stop.  This part felt wonderful.  No longer was I the runner who watches other people continue to pass her.  I felt alive, strong, and suddenly very competitive.  The bike had given me some of my power back.  I was taken down a couple notches when I hit the hill section.  I made it up the first one with no problem.  The second one, all I saw were people walking up their bikes.  I managed to make it almost to the top before I got off and finished walking it up.  This actually worked well to help stretch and loosen up my legs.  There were also several spots along the course where you could just fly.  I had a brief thought of what would happen if I were to crash at one of these moments but continued on.  It was too much fun.  The course looped twice and I was able to see Tressa's Mom starting the second loop.  Back to the hills but I continued to keep passing people.  I only remember a couple Elite's passing me.


Headed Toward The Bike Dismount Area.
I LOVED This Part.  Can You Tell?

BIKE TIME 45:30.7 (10.2 Miles)
T-2 1:37.8

I flew down to the bike dismount area and moved as quickly as I could to T-2.  I took off my helmet, tossed on my hat and skirt, and headed out.  It was the weirdest feeling I've ever had trying to run.  I could and couldn't feel my legs.  I was beginning to wonder if I looked as weird as I felt running.  I only saw a couple people running "normally."  I just kept going and hoped it would wear off.  Running is what I do so I took this opportunity to enjoy this very short run and know that the finish was close.  The best part was that I was once again passing people.  It was almost too much.  So many people were walking or extremely slow at this point and I took advantage of that.
I had been on the lookout for Tressa.  I didn't know if she had already finished or not.  It wasn't long and I saw her.  I was so excited to see that she was running and that she looked great.  She had been dreading the run portion because of an injury.  She commented about me catching her but I knew that wouldn't happen.  Tressa is very competitive so I knew seeing me probably helped boost her along.  I knew I wouldn't catch her but I tried to pick it up a little.  I was starting to be able to feel my legs better and loosen up.  I made it to the turn-around, back up to the road, around a loop, through the trees, over a bridge and back out into the opening where I could see the finish.  I tried to speed things up.  I was so happy and excited.  Tressa was there at the finish cheering for me.  How awesome is that?  I got my medal and handed in my chip.  I couldn't believe it was over.

RUN TIME 16:24.6 (1.6 Miles)


Finish Line Happiness :)

Official Triathletes

Tressa & I posed for a few pics and then hunted down some water & snacks.  Nutella makes some yummy post workout recovery food.  I noticed a table with cookies and was offered one by a volunteer.  I'm not one to pass up a chocolate chip cookie, especially after a run so I took it.  Tressa was also offered a cookie.  Soon we discovered they were contraband cookies meant only for the volunteers :)  Ooops, but they offered and they were good.  We did a quick change, came back to check out results, and wait a little longer to find out we didn't win the wetsuit.  Everyone, including our support crew, was ready to hit the road and find a good spot to eat on the way home.



Jason & I
Tressa was having a craving for garlic fries so we decided on Red Robin.  Once we started talking about food I was ready to eat anywhere.  The food was so good and now I know why Tressa wanted those fries.  They were delicious.

Hungry Triathletes
Overall this experience was amazing.  This event was great and had some of the best volunteers and support staff I've ever seen.  Considering I had no idea what to expect I am happy with my finish times.  I loved having someone to train with.  Friends really do make a difference and I'm so blessed to have Tressa.  I'm so glad she convinced me to TRI this with her.  It's so much more enjoyable when you can share the experience with someone else.  Thanks for everything Tressa!!!  Thanks also to Jesse for letting me borrow his bike.  I can't wait to get one of my own.

SWIM 14:12.1 ~ 6/8 AG
T-1 3:25.1
BIKE 45:30.7 ~ 2/8 AG
T-2 1:37.8
RUN 16:24.6 ~ 3/8 AG
TOTAL ~ 1:21:10.3
190/285 Overall
4/8 Athena

My Favorite Pic



18 comments:

Emz said...

You
freaking

ROCK.

Love it.

H Love said...

so cool, what an experience! love all the amazing pics!

Julie D. said...

wow! way to go girls!! Looks like so much fun!

Marlene said...

Congrats you triathlete you!! Sounds like it was such a great experience overall. Now that you have really found a love for the swim and bike, there will be no stopping you!!

Teamarcia said...

Awesome race you TRI-GIRL you!
Congrats!

track coach and adorable wife said...

I loved doing it with you too! I look forward to many more similar experiences (of course I will beat you next time!)

Rae said...

Way to go! You did so awesome!!

abbi said...

Great job...congrats!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Great report. I so glad you loved your tri experince.

Michelle said...

You did awesome!! Congrats Ms Triathlete!!

Pahla said...

HOORAY for you!! What a terrific race, I'm so excited that you're hooked on triathlon now!! :-)

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

I read tressa's review earlier and couldn't wait to read yours! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! By the looks of it, you had a GREAT race!! So happy for you! you go you triathlete you!! :D

Erika Bradford said...

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Great job. (And nice photo job.)

Clarissa said...

Awesome job miss triathlete!!!

*~*~* Tracy said...

Great job!
You made that look easy and fun!

Thomas Tan said...

Congrats, triathlete! That is a sweet medal, well earned!

Fruit Fly said...

Nice job!!
I can't believe you didn't ride your bike in only a small swim suit like that picture you posted on the earlier post! ;) And Red Robin ... excellent choice! Loved your pictures!
~RR