Thursday, June 9, 2011

Run For The Roses Half Marathon Race Report

We got up at 4am.  Big M escaped an early wake up call by staying at a friend's house.  Little M was excited to be my cheerleader.  It didn't take us long and we were on the road.  I love traffic this early.  We managed to get to the Sherwood High School at 7:45am with plenty of time to spare.  I was very happy to see real restrooms and lots of them.  I have no problem roughing it, but having a nervous bladder it's nice to know you can just run in, go, and get out.
Kim and I had been trying to plan out a matching outfit.  The day before I found these great shirts and hats at our Nike Outlet.  I think Kim and I both agreed on loving the hats.  I love the fact that even our iFitness Belts and shoes colors matched without even planning it.

Nat was there, too.  Of course he caught me taking pics for my blog first thing.  It was cool to have a mini blogger meet-up.  I made a quick trip to leave some stuff in the car and to make a pit stop.  Then we all headed over to the start.  Kim and I both had issues with getting our Garmins started.  Luckily, by the time I actually hit the starting line mine was cooperating.  We had chip timers but they just had a gun start, no mat.  I haven't checked out my Garmin to see how close the time was to the finishing mat, but I'm sure it's close.
I love these pics of us at the start.  Kim's daughter, J, and Little M were taking pics.  


This pic is one of my favorites.  I'm not loving my backside but the fact that we are running almost opposite of each other and everything matching is cool.  

Right after this pic, Nat joined us.  We ran the first mile together.  Once we hit Mile 1, Kim gave me a high five and she was off.  I didn't want to hold her back so I'm really glad that she went for it.  The whole course was hills, or as Nat sees them, a slight incline :)  I think it's so cool that he loves running them.  I have plans on spending a lot more training time on hills.  I will defeat them.  Check out the course, HERE.

Nat was great at coaching me up the hills.  At some point I made the mistake of saying, "I'm trying."  At that point we had a Star Wars moment and realized, "There Is No Try, Only Do."  It was great and helped keep me going.  Not sure if it was the heat, all the leg work I did the day before, or the hills that was slowly working on me.  I just don't do well when it's hot.  My normal fueling routine was all off.  They didn't have many water/Gatorade stations so that made it rough for me.

At Mile 3 we came up a hill and passed the starting area.  I was looking all over for my cheerleaders.  J and Little M were no where to be found.  This made me more than sad.  I knew I wouldn't see them again until the finish and I was really hoping for a few pics.  It took me quite awhile to get over it.  Running is just as much mental as it is physical and it just through me off.  It was nice having Nat there to keep pushing me along.

At Mile 6 at the top of one of the steeper hills, sat the photographer.  What a spot.  You had to focus on the hill, smile, suck it in, and not look like you were dying all at the same time.  Just after the 6.5 mile area I gave Nat the green light to keep going.  I was starting to slow down even more and I really didn't want to slow anyone else down.  He gave me a last shot of his Gatorade and off he went.  There was a fuel station at Mile 7.  The cups were very small so I took a shot of Gatorade & water.  I'm so glad I did  More on that soon.
While I was trudging along the course, Kim was killing it.  Congrats to her and S!!!!


Here's a great shot of Nat sprinting to the finish.  Congrats Coach!!!
Meanwhile, back in the trenches, I came upon these.  Nat and his family made these great signs for Kim, S, & I.  Thank you!!!



Of course, this is my favorite.  

The second loop of the course was felt extremely long.  My Garmin played a trick on me and said I was further along than I was.  Once I figured it out, it was another mini blow to my momentum.  I wasn't stopping though.  The next surprise was that the fuel statins were either completely missing or they were out.  That meant my last drink was at Mile 7.  I cheesed it up for the photographer again and motored up the hill.  Mile 10-11.5 really stunk.  I was freaking out about the time, I was hot, and my body was starting to rebel without the electrolytes it needed.  Suddenly, Kim was there wishing me luck.  It was great to see her.  I complained about the lack of fluids and then she was gone.  Before I knew it they pulled up again in their car and she saved me with some Gatorade.  I know that helped a lot.  Thanks KIM!!!

The last few miles were a little odd.  There was a guy in a Boston jacket that was extremely rude as I ran by.  I saw him at the start too so I'm pretty sure he was part of the race crew.  That ticked me off for the rest of the run.  Seriously, he was giving me crap after asking if there would be any other fuel stops?  The race was mostly on a wooded paved trail.  It felt like I was just out for a normal run.  No one was around at all.  Finally, I was back on a city street and I could see where we started.  No one was around to direct us which direction we needed to go to get to the finish.  I figured it out and couldn't get there fast enough.  My legs started to cramp so I had to stretch on the last section behind the stadium.  Nat caught up with me here and proceeded to run with me and coach me to the finish.  He dove off at the last stretch.
See my Coach?  Thanks so much Nat for being so awesome and for the great signs.


I was so happy to cross that finish line.  I never doubted I would finish.  DNF will never be in a race report if I can help it.  It never crossed my mind.  EVER.  I may be slow but I will finish, no matter what.  My new mantra up the hills was, "DO IT, DO IT!!!"
Little M
After we left the school we made a stop at Safeway.  I wanted/needed something cold asap.  J went in and left Little M and I to rest in the shade.  After some water and chocolate milk I was feeling much better.  I was happy that my legs were feeling good.  Not sure if that means I was a wimp and needed to push harder.  The really big issue I did have was back/shoulder pain.  It hit right after I finished.  I couldn't move my arms without everything seizing up.  Just walking caused pain.  I have a high pain tolerance so this was a big concern for awhile.  I drank lots of water and tried to stretch it out on the car ride home.  By the time I went to bed, it was better.  Even after all my marathons I've never had that happen.  Any thoughts???

So this is what I learned.

1.  I need to hydrate even more in the days leading up to a race.
2.  Running in the sun and heat is not fun.  It doesn't help that we have had horrible weather in average highs in the 50's and 60's.  It was a huge temperature difference.
3.  Hills stink.  I'm determined to change that.
4.  I'm going to have to bring my own back up fluids on races I'm not familiar with.
5.  The biggest thing ~ DO NOT do a full gym workout with all the weights and leg work the day before a run.  What was I thinking?

Official Race Photos HERE

Kim's Race Report HERE

On my journey to 4 moons, I am 1/4 of the way there.  Bring it Race #2!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great report! J's pictures are fantastic too.

I'm seriously considering carrying my own water during unknown summer races. The water stops were really spread out for this one, even when they had water! However, the fuel belt will interfere with the iFitness bib belt, what to do, what to do?

This is only the beginning, girl. You got this, 4 halfs in 21 days. I'll be cheering you on in spirit this Saturday at Helvetia. Do it, do it!

Kristi said...

Oh, wow! You can see those rolling hills in your official race pic! Ick. Total bummer that there weren't more hydration options on the course. That makes it really hard when it's hot.

stoppingfordaisies said...

Way to go! Weird about the lack of water stations, that's not cool. Glad you had support!

LB said...

awesome....love the signs!!!!

Richelle said...

Congrats on finishing a tough race! Pacers are so helpful; glad that Nat was there for you. That guy in the Boston jacket sounded like a real douche!

NattyBumpo said...

Ahh, I feel so good right now. Thank you so much. The two of you were awesome, and I had a lot of fun running with you.

Raina said...

Loved the race report! What a great time you all had! Just a little jealous of the blogger meet-up :)

The action photos at the end are awesome!!!

Those hills were brutal..
I love the section about the lessons learned. NO weights the day before a race !! :)

Julia said...

WOW! good job...you are so strong for pushing through all of the adversity of this race! that is awesome!

I am loving your all's outfits! too cute! and I would have been on the same page as you...I need LOTS of fuel stations---and reliable ones! especially during the summer!!

Good luck on your journey to 4!

Fruit Fly said...

Do you think we could bring Nat to Seattle with us to be our little moral booster and cheerleader??

Congrats on finishing! Heck - congrats on starting. That course terrified me too much to register. So Go Stacie!!

Fruit Fly said...

Okay I just looked at the official results. Yeah, had I been brave enough to do this one, especially with my leg hating me, pretty sure I'd have been at the very back o' the pack! I mean maybe even dead last!

Lindsay said...

Congrats! Way to tough it out :) that's an awesome shot at the end of your post -- quite a hilly course! Loved the twin action too.