Thursday, June 16, 2011

Helvetia Half Marathon Race Report


J and I were up bright and early.  The race coordinators suggested we get there by 6:30AM.  We left in time to stop at Safeway and get my usually race day fuel ~ banana and blueberry bagel.  I continued to hydrate on the way.  We got there before 6:30AM.  I'm glad because there were a TON of vehicles and people trying to park.  Luckily, we still got a spot at the stadium.
 Here'a view of the field/finish line on my way to pick up my packet.

I picked up my packet, made a pit stop, and then we walked back to the car to stay warm for awhile longer.  J may or may off not taken this opportunity for a mini snooze break :)  One of the giveaways I won, I used the certificate towards this Roxy tank.  It had cool colors on the back including green.  Only the people behind me benefited from knowing my socks matched.

 Juanita & I before the race.

Once we walked back up toward the start we met up with Juanita.  I was so excited to get to meet another running blog buddy.  Check out her blog HERE.  Seriously, you guys are the most supportive and real people I know.  We got to hang out for quite awhile before heading to the start.

 The porta potty line.

I was hoping for a short porta potty line.  I looked at several spots and then decided to just jump in one close to the start.  I almost changed my mind and had a brief thought about holding it.  I'm glad I just waited.  I had a mini panic attack when the race started and I was still in line.  Knowing I had my chip timer on and that there were a lot of people still waiting to cross the start helped.  As soon as I finished, I dashed out and jumped into the mess.
Right before crossing the starting line.

I had heard crazy stories of how hilly this course was.  As you know, I'm not a big fan.  After last Saturday's run in the sun and hills, I was determined to not have a repeat performance.  I'm still embarrassed at my time from last week.  I think it helped to pump me up for today.  Since it was just me and my iPod I quickly got into my zone.  A helicopter was flying above us for quite awhile.  That was kind of cool.  I love these bigger races.  There is always something to look at and I think all the people distract me from what's ahead.  The pressure of feeling like I'm going to be last goes away and I enjoy it even more.
There was mostly just rolling hills for the first few miles.  At mile 3 there was a guy flat on his back with people all around him.  Not a good sign.  Luckily, it looked like he had lots of help.  Right before Mile 4 we passed Roloff Farms.  I had no idea this was where they lived.  We've watched that show a lot.  The hills were becoming a little more challenging.  I had Nat in my head the whole time.  "DO IT!!! DO IT!!!  I was determined not to let him down.  I might have slowed on the steeper parts but I DID NOT STOP.  Definitely a confidence booster.  My music was just loud enough to block out my breathing.  I do so much better when I can't hear myself.  Around Mile 5 we turned a corner to see a massive hill.  Super crazy.  So many people just kind of stopped and started walking before they even got to it.  I was going to tackle it.  I just slowed my pace and shortened my stride even more and tried to focus on the beat of my music.  I was just short of the top and I had to fast walk.  Really that was just as fast as my running speed anyway.  Once we topped the hill it leveled out for a minute and then there was another one almost as big.  I made it up that one.  None of this was done fast or pretty but I did it.  There were several down hill areas after this that I took full advantage of.  I flew.  It felt amazing.  I knew it would catch up to me later but it was worth it.  Just before Mile 6 you start an out and back which is about 1.5 miles long.  More hills but I was still feeling great.  

Finally I took a good look at my Garmin aka "Need For Speed" at Mile 8 and was super excited.  I was doing far better than I ever imagined.  I knew things would get tougher for me at the end, especially after all the hills, so I tried to just focus on the road in front of me.  They had photographers before Mile 10 and I totally cheesed it up for them.  We made a right and I saw nothing but a dusty gravel road in front of me.  Not fun to run on at all.  Between Mile 10-11 Juanita showed up.  I just about fell over from shock.  How in the world could I possibly be in front of her?  Still not sure how that happened.  She had an asthma issue around Mile 7.5 so I'm happy that she recovered from that.  She was looking great.  That was probably the slowest section of the run.  We talked a little and I ran with her for a bit but I told her to go on ahead.  Holding people back is not something I want to do.  We lucked out and had another photographer moment together before she ran on.  
 I had to take a pic of my 11 Mile Sign.

I kept Juanita in my sights for awhile.  It wasn't for lack of effort.  The hills were definitely catching up to me.  I still felt great and knowing I was only a couple miles from the finish was a huge motivator.  Mile 12 came and went.  The last mile seemed to go on forever.  I could see the stadium and it seemed to never get any closer.  Finally we came through the stadium gates.  I heard my name and saw Amanda from Runninghood.  I'm sure I looked like a nerd as I happily waved at her.  One last corner and a final stretch to the finish.  Running on the turf made me feel like I was running in slow motion.
 Here I Come!!!


 Looking at the clock I was in shock.  I knew that my chip time was off my several minutes.  I knew I would be close to a PR.  I was super excited and couldn't wait to get my official time.  Of course I waited to stop my Garmin and saved it before even looking at my time.  I was slightly excited and not thinking clearly.
 Amanda & I
 Afterwards, Amanda came to say hi so we officially got to meet.  I was excited to meet another running blogger.  I was just super pumped up.  J & I made our way up out of the stadium.  Juanita was nice enough to let J use her free hamburger ticket.  Thank you!!!  We got our food and met up with her to hang out for awhile.  I was feeling great and just so excited after having such a great run on such a tough course.  Juanita probably thinks I'm a crazy person.  I didn't even eat because I was talking so much.  It's fun to get together with other people who understand our love of running.

A final pic of Juanita and I before saying goodbye.
See my sexy sweat trail?
We didn't hang out long after that.  We decided to take advantage of the day and our time together.  We made a quick stop in Portland before heading home.  I don't think I ever stopped smiling.

It seemed to take forever for the official results to get posted.  Here they are.

BIB # 1829
Chip Time ~ 2:16:59
Chip Pace ~ 10:27
Age Division ~ 160/315
Place Overall ~ 1425/2736
Sex Overall ~ 693/1693

That's a PR!!!!!!!
My last PR was 2:18:53.  I was so close to a 2 minute improvement.

I'm beyond excited.  This was my last race before my birthday and bumping up into the next age group.  I wanted to accomplish something and I'm so happy that I did.  #2 was a success.  Now I'm looking toward #3.

I'm 1/2 way done on my 4 Moon Journey!!!

16 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

Very, VERY cool! Congratulations on your new PR! Guess it is a good thing you had Nat in your head telling you to DO IT!!! on those hills. Fabulous job! And how cool that you got to meet up with even more bloggers.

*I love running on football fields and tracks. It just feels so nice and bouncy!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Congrats on the PR! Sounds like a fun time!

Jill@Run for the Hills said...

Congratulations!!!
I love that you got to meet up with some other bloggers.
Two more to go, huh? I think I'll be stuck at 1 moon for awhile. :)

Alanna said...

PRs are the best! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Congrats on a great PR! You look darling too!

Unknown said...

Great report. You made the course sound a bit easier than it really is! It's just because you killed it and showed it you were the boss!

NattyBumpo said...

Great job! Number 3 should be a quick one after two weeks of hills and what not. Just go have fun and don't worry about the time. Besides, you could pretend you are on Summer break and taking a vacation to the beach.

Just tell me if they still have the go cart tracks there.

Meredith said...

Congratulations!!! Awesome, awesome job!!!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

WOO HOO! Nice birthday PR!

stoppingfordaisies said...

Wow, that's awesome! Way to go! And I love your bright green socks lol.

juanitagf said...

Great to meet you, too! I loved your outfit and recognized you because of the back of the shirt not your socks... I am trying to remember if I made a stop at the lovely porta-pottie just before I came on you...hmmm, probably...

fancy nancy said...

Congrats on your PR!!! Is that the Lululemon skirt? Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate when I forget to stop my watch after a race. I am such a dork sometimes!

Great race and a PR! You rock!!!

Richelle said...

Congrats on your new PR! You nailed it!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Okay it is on here. YIkes! ha ha. Congrats on a great race! How am I missing these posts?? I feel like I miss a lot of posts lately. sorry. I'm going to get caught up tonight!! :)

Julie D. said...

Happy Belated Birthday and CONGRATS!!! WOW, on a hilly course and all!! great job!!