Thursday, May 27, 2010

New Music Friday

Here's my devoted running companion.

I've decided to start something new. I love music. It has played a huge part in my life. It can make me happy and evoke all sorts of emotions. I can hear a song and pretty much remember the year it came out and everything that was going on in my life at the time.

Since I began my running/weight loss journey in 2006 it has become even more important. Since I am lacking in the running buddy department I have found that music is a huge motivator. It keeps me going. I got my first iPod with the Nike + sensor and have used it since the beginning to track my mileage. It was also a great way to become part of another running community by participating in challenges on the Nike + Running website here. It's all about being held accountable.

When I ran my first marathon (Portland) in October of 2006 I can still remember exactly when the Chariots of Fire theme came on. It caused me to laugh and refocus. With nothing but a 5K between me and the finish line, Justin Timberlake gave me a boost by Bringing Sexy Back.

So in honor of the music that I love and that entertains me over so many miles, many of them on the treadmill, I am introducing New Music Friday. Every Friday I will highlight a song that is on my playlist or has been. I love discovering a new song that I can run to. Hopefully I can share one that will help pick up your own pace just a little. I'm open to suggestions and any music that you'd like to share as well.

I love iTunes and the freedom of buying just one song at a time instead of commiting to a whole CD. Although, in a few cases they do hold the song you want hostage on an album only purchase. I haven't been on iTunes for a few days and here's what I found tonight.




It looks like his new album, Euphoria, will be released July 6th. I have a weakness for this boy, plus most of his music is fun to run to. Check it out.


I know this pic is not music related but it's a great B&W shot and I couldn't help it :)

GIVEAWAYS

My Bondiband Giveaway Here
Running Diva Mom~ROAD ID Here

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love music too! It can make or break a workout!

Courtney said...

"I can still remember exactly when the Chariots of Fire theme came on. It caused me to laugh and refocus."

So true! lol
I just downloaded it to add to my playlist.
Love the Music Friday idea. Looking forward to some good new tunes.

Erica said...

i think the best thing about music, is that in an instant it can shoot you back in time

Hannah said...

I have to have music on the treadmill. And I don't know what I would do if I didn't have people to run with. I currently haven't listened to music at all. I did, however, figure I would NEED music, so I bought a fancy ipod, loaded it with my marathon mix...and now I clean house to that mix. Haha.

I LOVE music, though, and can't wait to hear all about the new music you find!

Heather said...

I am right there with you. I choose to run on my treadmill because I love blasting my ipod and just zoning out. New favorite song: California Gurls by Katy Perry. Yes, it's spelled wrong. Yes, it's adorable and fun!