Friday, November 5, 2010

I've Got A Plan



I always do better when I have an upcoming race on my calendar.  The one I want most right now is the 2011 Suntrust National Marathon.  It will take place on Saturday, March 26, 2011.


During/immediately after Portland I was resigning myself to the fact that it would probably be my last full marathon.  Just typing that makes me sad.  I wasn't even out of Portland before I was already thinking of a way to break my 5 hour curse.  I just can't give it up yet. 


My husband was thrilled with the thought of me backing down.  I know it freaks him out along with the rest of my family that I love running, especially the marathon.  If only they knew my dreams of running ultras.  I can understand their concern.  I worry about my sanity as well sometimes.  The problem with that is I'd be more crazy without it.  After I lost my Mom 6 years ago I started to get healthy and I ended up losing over 60 pounds.  It wasn't just for my physical state but for my mental state as well.  With my Mom gone and my best friend very far away it was hard to deal with things.  I wanted to be healthy and happy for my girls.  I'm going to do my best to not let them go through what I did.  Running cleared my mind and made me feel free and alive.  It was good.  Even though I have never been fast it was wonderful.


Now it has been almost a month since Portland and I'm still feeling a little defeated.  Between a crazy life schedule and my knees I've been feeling more than a little depressed and worried about my running future.  I've ran/jogged a few times but no real test to see how my knees are going to be.  I've walked A LOT and that has been good.  I've noticed over the past week that me knees have been popping and having painful moments again too.  We are still paying on the physical therapy from earlier this year.  I'm frustrated that I can't go and get a real answer or help with my knees.  


Here is my master plan.


1.  Start a hard core physical therapy routine of my own using exercises I learned earlier.  Keep at that along with ab/core exercises.


2.  Focus on healthy eating.  Once I commit to something I can't be stopped.  I started my big weight loss in December 2005.  If I can start and be successful during the holidays then nothing should stop me.  I know that by losing the weight it will only benefit my knees.  Let's face it.  As a woman, losing weight will benefit me mentally even more.  Happy girls don't sit around and eat chocolate...as much :)


3.  Figure out a plan to save some cash.  The entry fees are $85 for the half and $105 for the full.  If only that were my biggest problem.  I still have to find some plane tickets and plot out my living/travel arrangements.  I love going places and usually navigate in new destinations quite well.  If I make it to the east coast I'd love to have a day or two to check things out to make my trip even more memorable.  I'll definitely be asking Santa for some running fund money.  I've been good, right???


4.  Start my marathon training.  My plan is to start very slow.  Shouldn't be a problem for me.  Though I tend to be my own worst coach.  I start with a plan and then keep bumping up the mileage and/or speed.  I'm going to try really hard not to do that.  If I'm going to keep running I need my knees to work properly.  I can't handle another marathon where my body and mind want to go and my knees bring me to a halt.  I plan to take it one day at a time but I will reevalute my knees and funds before the end of December and plan everything from there.  It looks like its filling fast so hopefully I'll have time to make it all come together.


5.  My bloggy pack aka best running buddies ever.  Several of you East Coasters have inspired me to try and make this happen ~ TMB, Katye, Rene, & Amanda.  I know I may never meet all of you but I want you to know that every comment, follower, suggestion, giveaway entry(couldn't leave that out), means a lot to me.  I may not physically get to run with you but you have each been a part of my journey so far.  I have met some of the best people I know through this blog.  You are all a part of my team.  BTW~I do have a green light to attempt this trip from my husband.  He just doesn't know my goal is to try for the full instead of the half.  SSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!


Any thoughts or suggestions regarding any of the above would be appreciated.  

DC OR BUST 
140 DAYS

Only 2 more days left to enter for my Jessica's Gifts $25 gift certificate HERE.  Spread the word and keep watch for more giveaways very soon.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope your plan comes together. Sounds so exciting! I'm having a pity party because my knee is bothering me too. Figure out how to fix yours, then tell me all about it!
Could you link your You Go Girl post to the bottom of my current post when you get a chance? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was going to register for that race! But then I ran into some of the same things you are - cost of a hotel room for myself, plane tickets, etc. I know my husband would be fine with me going... I just don't know if I'd want to go by myself! There's no way he could get off work then.

H Love said...

follow your dream! you can do this! again i am inspired! GO GIRL!

track coach and adorable wife said...

I think you need a chaperone! And possibly a running buddy!

Rene' said...

I am so excited that you have set these goals. I am definitely with you on the eating through the holidays. I have put on a bit of weight during the last couple of weeks before my marathon this weekend and am hoping to be back down by December.
DC or Bust Baby!!!

Pahla said...

DC or bust!! Good luck to you Stacie, your optimism is so inspirational!!

Tricia said...

good luck with your goals!

Average Woman Runner said...

Yes, you can do it! As for your knees and training, I hope they start to behave soon.
Recently, my PT said "less is more," meaning fewer running days with lots of joint-friendly cross training in between is good. The key is to make those running days really count in terms of building up the milage. So they may be LONGER than normal, but you have more time to recover between runs if you're only running 3 d/wk. Anyway, I'm going to give it a try for my big marathon debut that I'm in the process of planning.
Maybe there is someone in bloggy land who would let you crash with them out there? Or at least share the price of a hotel room with?
It's great that you put it out there :) Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlene said...

Good luck! With your determination I know you will make it happen. Impossible is Nothing!

Katye said...

we want you on the east coast! let me know if I can do anything to make it easier =)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

DC is happening. I'll help however I can!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Awesome game plan!

I think this marathon could also double as a civic/history lesson for the family being that it is in D.C.!!!

Julie D. said...

GO FOR YOUR DREAM. You can do it, Stacie!! You've got it. Now go for it. Your plan looks golden.

Valerie said...

What a great goal. When i was reading your post it almost felt like you were talking about me. I too, have felt defeated since the Portland Marathon, and also have a less than enthusiastic husband, about the pressure running a marathon puts on our family (and also a extended family who doesn't understand why I want to run 26.2 miles) BUT............... with all that being said, I know that running is a positive thing for myself and my family. I LOVE YOUR PLAN!!! You should go for it, what a beautiful race. You need to go for your PR, its something that's important to you and you have been so close. U can do it!
I have always wanted to run/visit DC, what an amazing race set your PR in! You inspire me. :)

The Boring Runner said...

I'm back!! Sorry for the lack of comments.

I really like your plan. Build a solid base and then cram as much as you can on top of it. Like building a house.

Make sure to get your rest so that you can rebuild. That is my key to success for sure.

Jen said...

Awesome goals!! You are so determined, there's no way you will fail!!

Trish said...

I love that you have a plan. Work it and it will happen for you!!

Bethany + Ryan said...

hmm, tough choices. If you were looking to run a race in MA i'd offer you my futon. maybe you could find someone to stay with or a friend to go with to share the cost of the hotel? i want you to be able to do it too!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Best of luck friend!!