Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cheddar Challenge

Today was the Cheddar Challenge. It is especially fun for me since I graduated from Toledo and that's where the run happens. Every year Toledo has a Cheese Day festival that includes a parade, car show, etc. Lots of fun things happening. It's usually a chance to see some of my classmates that I don't get to see often.
I debated on whether to run with my handheld or my water pack. I was running the 8 mile and every time I have there has only been one water stop. Not cool for someone who sweats like I do and needs frequent water intake. I decided on the backpack since I'm still working on running with my handheld without it driving me crazy. It has been hot too so I wanted to make sure I had enough. So off I headed to the starting line looking more like I was going hiking than on a run. I guess it's better to look like a dork than die on the course, right?
There were many friends among the runners today. My friend, Tressa, who has just begun her running story HERE, was there with her family to support her husband, Jesse, who was running the 5K. He is in the green shirt below. My friend, Clarissa, also participated in the 5K with Traci & Brook. Jason's cousin, Rhonda was also there. She is a super fast runner. We end up running many of the same events together. It was nice to see people I know.
Rhonda is in the pink skirt. We were having a good time before the start. I was also enjoying the rare feeling of being in the front of the pack :)


This was about halfway. I told Jason to meet me again with about 1.5 miles to go so I could dump the pack. I knew I wouldn't need it after that point. It was hot. I'm glad that I had it but was really looking forward to running without it. I caught up to and passed another runner here. About a mile down the road she passed me and we talked about CEP socks. I caught her again shortly afterwards and she never passed me again. Yes!!!! It's the small victories :)

Thankfully, Tressa was still taking pics and caught me coming to the finish. Her son, Peyton, was the best cheerleader ever. I clapped with him as I finished :) You can see Jason scrambling to grab the camera out of the red truck behind me. He had followed me along most of the course, took my backpack, and then headed to the finish. He didn't think I would finish that fast so he was chatting with our friends. So in the end I reenacted my finish below.



Here's the nice pic that Tressa took of Jesse and I at the finish and then the pic when Jesse realized just how sweaty I get when I run. Sorry Jesse :) I'm glad you guys were there.

Rhonda and I at the finish.
A quick pic at home before getting cleaned up. We stayed for the parade and the free cheese sandwiches afterwards. The sun decided to come out and it got very hot. I love looking at the cars at the car show but we didn't stay long before heading home. The girls were hot, hungry, and tired so it was time to call it a day.

FINISH TIME ~ 1:23:58 / 8 Miles

6 comments:

Marlene said...

CONGRATS, girl! Looking strong out there. YES, definitely better to look like a dork (but I don't think you did!) than lack water.

The best part of wearing the hydration backpack is how good it feels to ditch it. I have dnoe this on a few long runs and it really helps me pick up the pace at the end.

H Love said...

nice job! sounds like a full fun day!

track coach and adorable wife said...

It was great to see you there too. I do have a few more pics of you finishing that I can send to you. I love that we are running into eachother at all these events now. Hope to do more with you.

Pahla said...

I love that you re-enacted your finish! What a great race, congrats!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Great job on your race! I have trouble with a handheld too but always feel like I can't use a pack unless I'm running really long distances because I'll look like a dork! Funny we both thought the same thing.

I love the reenactment photos.

Laura said...

I have a small handheld that holds a 10oz bottle but with the heat we have been having, I have to use my hated water belt.
Cheddar sandwiches at the end? I would love that.
Nice race!