Don't you just love it when blogger eats your posts? Man, I had this all done and suddenly, it was gone. I'm going to attempt to redo this and remain calm.
Here's our team pic from 2009. Yes, I'm the one in the green. Not sure if we got a group photo in this year. If we did, I wasn't in it :)
Here's a shot once Relay got started this year. Usually the event is held at a local high school track. They redid the track and now they don't want people on it??? Not sure if that makes any sense. So this year it was at a park and our walking/running surface is what you see.
Mike Fourtner (Time Bandit/Deadliest Catch) was part of our Hotwires Team this year. My husband actually got his job when he left to go back crab fishing. His whole family is amazing. His sister is my BFF. Mike came to help raise money for our team. He did pics and autographs. Here he is posing with one of the "Relay Girls." Guys dress up and make themselves sexy and then run around trying to collect extra money for their teams. There were some "hot" ladies this year :)
Loved this sign.
These are the luminaria that we made. You do them in honor of loved ones lost to cancer or for those that are survivors. The ceremony is a pretty amazing thing to experience.I set up my Cookie Lee table at our team site at 3PM. The wind was crazy but the sun was out so it wasn't too bad. Once the sun went down that changed. After it slowed down and it started getting dark, I put away my jewelry and put on my running shoes.
I did a lot of walking at first since the ground was so uneven. I checked the whole loop out, trying to find the best "course" to run. When I first showed up I was wishing I had some Vibrams. I'd love to give it a try and this would have been perfect.
Around midnight it started to rain, very lightly at first but that also changed. By 2:45AM I was more than ready to be done. I kept running to my truck and switching out my shirts/sweatshirts. Luckily, I has tossed several in before I left home. Last year I ran 22 miles and I was determined to get more than that. By 4:09AM I hit 22.5 miles and was more than ready to be done. It was a long, cold, rainy night but I'm happy that I was able to do it. By the time I got home and in bed it was close to 5AM.
My girls were dropped off at 8AM so I was up again. I wanted to spent a good quality day with them so I pulled it together so we could head into town for a girls day.
The girls and I headed back over to visit the team and to drop off the money I raised. I was thrilled that in the time I spent at the Relay, before I started walking/running, I was able to get $111 for my team. After I gave them the check we walked around as people were packing up. We scored some free hot dogs, chips, and cotton candy. Check out the pink cotton candy man. That's dedication. He was up all night making it.
After that we headed to Olympia. Our small town doesn't have much to look at or do unless Wal-Mart counts. We had a fun time looking at stuff, trying on fun clothes, having lunch, discovering a brand new REI store, and topping off the day at Barnes & Noble. We got home at 11PM and we all crashed. Sunday was an extremely lazy day.
BTW~The world didn't end. I'm pretty excited about that. I really didn't want a long run in the rain to be the last thing I did :)
Congrats to Kristina at A Home Made By Kiki. She guessed 22 miles so she wins my mini mystery prize. Kristina, just send me an email with your info and I'll get it out to you.
Have you voted yet???
Thanks again to all of you who are voting for me for the Top 25 Health & Fitness Blogs at Circle of Moms Network ~ HERE. Don't forget you can vote once every 24 hours until June 1st. I'll love you forever!!! Thanks for all the support!!







10 comments:
awesome job!!! what a great event!
What a great event! I did one of these with the teacher's I worked with last year and the year before! It is such a fun and worthwhile event!!!
Sounds like a successful event - and the weather looks like it was just perfect!
That "false alarm" picture is hysterical!
My husband was trying to describe some silly picture about this weekends hubub that he saw and it must have totally been that "false alarm" picture you posted! Too funny.
22 miles - you go girl!
I love Relay and I love seeing how others events are where they live! Our "Mr. Relay" contest is always hilarious!!! :0) Great event-great post! :0)
Nice job in the Relay for Life. 22 miles is amazing!
Looking forward to the Run for the Roses in two weeks, yikes!
Nice work!
I like the false alarm photo. People can prophesy all they like, but no one is gonna know the exact day when the world will end. No one!
Congrats! Lots of miles for a great cause!
What a great event!! I've been voting for ya!
This is awesome - seriously great event!
New follower - can't wait to read about your adventures! :)
Post a Comment