Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Half Marathon Crazy?


I've been pumped since Eugene.  Meeting some of my blogger buddies for the first time and sharing such an amazing experience with them still has me smiling.  So many PR's.  It has me dreaming big dreams.  I want to run fast.  I'm working hard on trying to be smart about it so I don't kill my knees.  I wish I could just train and not worry about it.

The one thing I do have is determination and endurance.  I might slow way down but I won't stop.  That will only get better as I get back into shape.  That being said, I've been thinking about doing something a little bit crazy.  I haven't ran this past J yet, and I know he won't be excited about it but I want this badly.

I've found these three races.  I've listed a few pros and cons.  I'm not registered for any of them yet.  The first two I would have to register at packet pick-up.  The cost will be higher since I waited but the third race is free which equals everything out quite nicely.  I was also looking to upgrade my Moon Level as a Half Fanatic.  I was thinking I'd go from 1 to 3 Moons but I just looked and if I do 4 in 23 days I will be a Level 4 Moon ~ Half Fanatic Criteria.  Another motivator is the fact that in June, I bump up to the next age group.  I'd like to accomplish something before entering the older group for the first time when I do the Seattle Rock-n-Roll 1/2.

Cinco De Mayo 1/2 Marathon ~ May 8
Pros~
Finisher's Medal
Music
Mexican Food
Con's~
Mexican Food
Looks like the same course as the Run Like Hell.  My PR course but hilly.  Should I go back for more?

Capital City 1/2 Marathon ~ May 15
Pros~
Close To Home
We can do a kids run the day before at registration.
Finisher's Medal
Cons~
Probably Out Of Shirts

First Call Spring 1/2 Marathon ~ May 21
Pros~
Free
Finisher's Medal
Con's~
Minimal Support
Distance-North Of Seattle

Any thoughts or suggestions???  I'll have some work putting it all together.  Not sure if I can pull it off but that's what I've been thinking about for the last couple days.

How can I not be inspired when I read blogs like these ~ EMZ, EMZ Part 2, & Tall Mom On The Run.  So many more of you inspire me each day.  Once again, so thankful for my running family.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop ~ Confucius
Stolen from EMZ


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capital City is also really really hilly from what I can tell on the elevation profile on marathonguide. But if you aren't afraid of hills, go for it! You can do it :)

Richelle said...

Those all look like fun races. I'd go for the most economical one myself, but it's really up to what works best for you and your family.

Marlene said...

Racing is sooo addicting! I always get caught up in that post-race high and can't wait for the next one.

Good luck going after that Half Fanatic status!!

Julia said...

thats a tough choice! the first one looks fun! i really love half marathons as well! good luck choosing :)

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

You get a finisher's medal at a free race?! That's a winner in my book. And the Cinco de Mayo one won me over with the Mexican food.

I love races. :) I wish I could run all my long training runs in races, but DANG that would be expensive.

Fruit Fly said...

I was just reading articles about Eugene ... and I saw some familiar people on one of the photos!

http://www.kval.com/news/121059864.html?tab=gallery#img6

Fruit Fly said...

I say go for it ... but then I'm just another one of those crazy racing addicts. Cinco de Mayo sounds fun, free sounds fun .... go for it!

Unknown said...

Checked out Fruit Fly's link--why are you running so far away from J? Funny how it looks.
Gosh, I wish you could run Hippie Chick with us on Sunday instead of that Cinco de Mayo half. The HC start is just west of Portland. It's sold out...

Plan for January 2012--coordinate race schedules with you!!

Anyway, you need to run a race soon, for you, to see what you've got this year. Good luck!

Meredith said...

Cinco de mayo last year was my very 1st 1/2! Hard course, but loved it! But, if you've done Run Like Hell, you already know the course...

Sounds like a fun plan! I'm training for my 1st full right now and after last weeks 20, it seems like 1/2's are such a fun way to go! I love 1/2's!!

track coach and adorable wife said...

Sounds crazy, but then so are you! I had debated signing Jesse up for the Capital City one, so he could get some longer racing experience, but he doesn't want to hurt his foot on the hills before he has to! Good luck if you go for it!

Becka said...

I run everything I can so I'm the wrong person to ask.... but the one that is free AND has a medal???? You must.

Kristin said...

I've done two of those... I did the Capital City Half last year. It has some seriously challenging hills. But there is also a fabulous downhill to the finish. I also did the First Call on January 1. The course is easy, flat, out and back...it is also a little shy of 13.1 (at least mine was). There is no support on the course, you need to carry your own water (I don't recall any water station). They do have plentiful food at the end, though. It is pretty much just an opportunity to rack up another race. Oh, and when I ran it the park bathrooms were not open before the start, I had to walk over to Safeway. There is a restroom along the trail though.

Keri said...

the half marathon is a great distance! I'm sure whatever one you choose, you will have a blast doing! You are right. there are so many wonderful inspirations in the blog world. Let us know what you decide!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Good luck with half fanatic! I looked at the requirements and it is tough, but I bet you'll have a blast going for it!

Karen Seal said...

I wouldn't be able to decide! LOL They all look like great races!! :0)