Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Ride

This weekend was crazy busy and I'm not going to lie and tell you I enjoy Mother's Day.  After losing my Mom over 6 years ago I just dread it.  It helps that I have two beautiful girls and each year it gets a little better.

I had some huge plans for this weekend that didn't happen.  I was overall bummed but before it was over I ended up with one of these.

It is a Monona by Gary Fisher.

Everyone in the family had a bike but me.  Of course, I have grand plan of doing a few more TRI's and after using Track Coach's bike last year, I was spoiled.  My biggest challenge was the fact that J is a little wary of getting me anything at all that looks fast.  Lots of crashes happening in the blog world and close to home that has him freaked.  Me saying that I could get hurt at anytime walking or running wasn't much help either :)

After looking at lots of bikes we compromised with this.  We drove our bikes into Napavine so we could ride safely around town and back streets.  After riding over 2 miles we made it back to the truck.  J and the girls stayed at the park for awhile so I could get a head start.  I decided to ride home which was just over 6 miles away.  I was almost at 3 miles when they drove by and harassed me a little.  The girls were loving this.  After mile 4, J drove between me and a dog intent on eating me.  Luckily, our truck scared him off.  After that they headed home and waited for me to arrive.

This was a great ride.  It didn't take me long to figure out the gears.  I flew into our driveway feeling refreshed and happy.  That was one of my favorite parts of doing the TRI.  On a bike I have the power to go fast.  I like love it.  It was a successful 8+ mile first time out.

Things I learned on my ride.

1.  Don't wear your old work-in-the-yard jeans.  Holes in certain places will result in chafing.  Also, just not very comfortable.  

2.  I need to lose weight so the above wouldn't have happened.

3.  I love going fast.  

4.  I sweat just as much riding a bike as I do running.  Sexy.

Now it/he/she needs a name.  Any ideas or suggestions?  All I've had in my brain since getting it is G6.  It was my suggestion to Zoe when she was looking for names.  I don't have any themes happening here yet.  My Garmin is "Need For Speed."  If only having a really cool name could actually make you faster.

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the amazing Mom/Runner/Blogger/Athlete's out there!!!!

12 comments:

track coach and adorable wife said...

Yay for getting a bike! Can't wait to ride together again, but you will have to go slow for me! I still haven't named my bike either, it is such a large decision!

Julia said...

woo hoo!!! yay for getting a bike! i am super jealous...I would love to get a bike that I can zoom around time on...and pursue my some day far off goal of a tri. I will keep thinking of a name! I LOVE "need for speed"! fast names = key to being fast :)

Evolving Through Running said...

Sweet new ride! I have a serious case of bike envy these days - so many shiny new bikes showing up on blogs. Not in the cards right now ... or more accurately not in the budget. I'll stick to drooling in the meantime.

KovasP said...

Im honor of the Knack I think it should be My Monona.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

Now I have that "Like a G6" song stuck in my head.

Nice bike!

Anonymous said...

Mona Beasta! =)

Marlene said...

Congrats on your new wheels and happy belated Mother's Day!

Fruit Fly said...

Very cool that you got a bike! I heard the boys talking about that at Mazzi's actually!

Penny said...

Love that bike. I like G6 as it's name.

Raina said...

Sorry that mother's day is hard for you...:(

That's a nice bike. I laughed about the jeans :)
Is this a name contest? if so- I like a nice femine name like Kovas suggested, lol

Anonymous said...

I sweat a ton doing any kind of physical activity - it's pretty gross. I used to think I was abnormal until I started reading blogs and seeing sweaty pics of people :)

Richelle said...

How about "Speedy"?

Yay for the new set of wheels!