Sunday, January 2, 2011

Year To Year 5K Race Report


This was our 3rd year in a row running the New Years Event.  I was even more excited for this year since my friend, Tammy, was running her very first 5K.   We graduated from high school together but somehow haven't seen each other since.  Funny thing is we live about 6-7 miles away from each other now :)  She drove to our house, we dropped M&M off at Grandma & Grandpa's, and then we were off to Longview.  
The weather has been quite nippy lately.  I still chose to wear a running skirt & CEP socks.  I'm crazy like that.  We luckily found a Starbuck's that was still open and I introduced Tammy to the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate.  It's my tradition to get one each year before this race.  After that we headed to the race to get Tammy signed up.
Each year they have sweatshirts.  This year it was a white hooded one with the above logo.  Pretty cool. Tammy even got one to celebrate her 5K.  I could see everyone eyeing me in my skirt.  It was a sweltering 19 degrees out so I'm sure they thought I'd lost my mind.  We hung out in the gym for a few minutes but then decided to chat inside our truck with the heater blasting until we had to go in.
We joked several times about about just heading home since we already had our sweatshirts but we all know that wasn't happening.  Jason somehow still snuck a quick nap in before we woke him up to hit the restrooms one more time before heading outside for the race.

Tammy & I before the race start.

Before the race began I had 1,110.57 miles under my belt for 2010.  I was just happy that I had over 1,000 but when I added up my miles I was very happy to see how close I was to 1,111.  That was my original goal for the year.  I only needed .43 miles to make it before midnight.  As the fireworks began and I looked at my clock I officially ran .76 miles which gave me 1,111.33 miles for 2010.  I couldn't be happier after what I went through to get them.
Tammy was worried about running the 5K.  She mentioned several times that she would probably have to walk.  I had faith in her and I knew she would do great.  Guess what?  She did.  All three of us ran together most of the race.  It was great watching the fireworks.  I was a bit worried about the roads being slick since everywhere you looked it sparkled.  Somehow we managed to not crash and burn.  Jason decided to pick it up during the last stretch but I wasn't wanting to risk my knee by racing him.  It acted up a little but for the most part it was pretty numb from the cold.  I wouldn't have ran off from Tammy anyway.  Afterwards we were looking a bit red.  Of course, I was sweaty as usual even in the cold.  I have no idea why my hat is crooked.  I don't remember running that fast :)
A very red knee.
A pic of our team.
Jason & I
 Tammy & I

Another shot of the red legs.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  
A final pic of Tammy & I back at my house after the run.  I'm so proud of Tammy.  Congrats!!!  I'm so glad I could share your first 5K with you.  We are already planning another run together :)

The race didn't have bibs or official times.  They had someone calling times at the end.  Jason might have beat us to the building but he cut through at another point and didn't run to the real finish line.  I'm trying to decide if he is disqualified or not. 

Need For Speed aka Garmin said my time was 34.04 for 3.2 miles.  Tammy was right behind me.

19 comments:

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Great report and sounds like a fun race.

Marlene said...

So the race takes place right at midnight on NYE? That is awesome! What a great tradition. Congrats!!!

A Prelude To... said...

Congrats on your 1111.33 miles!
Great way to ring in the new year.

Teamarcia said...

What a fun New Year's event! Congrats to both of you!

H Love said...

Jason, what a rebel! Looks like you had a great time. I think the crooked hat is a new trend for 2011. Great job!

Chelsea said...

I just came inside from a run in 30-ish degrees in short sleeves. Everyone on the sidewalks was giving me these crazy looks for being in short sleeves...but I was fine!

When I was changing though, I noticed how red my arms were. It was kind of creepy!

Becka said...

I think those socks are the best ever. And I always wear a skirt to run in also, although if it's super cold I'll wear tights under (I'm clearly wimpier :D )

Twila said...

so jealous that you have this race where you live. there are not many races around where I live

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun and you are too cute! Love the socks!

Anonymous said...

Positively awesome! Sounds like a great event, but I do think you might be crazy for wearing the skirt. :) Brrrr!

EricaH said...

Sounds like a very cold but great way to ring in the New Year. :)

Sara said...

AWESOME race report! Congrats to your friend for finishing her first 5K - what an accomplishment and what a great time! That race looks totally awesome - I wish we had one here! I would struggle to stay awake...but it would be worth it! Best to you in 2011!

Julie D. said...

Congrats on a great, fun race!

Lindsay said...

That's cool that they give out sweatshirts! Never gotten one of those before. Congrats on the 1111.33mi!!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

WHAT AN AWESOME RACE!!! You are amazing and I love the green:) I LOVED the pictures!! I got my jacket at nordstroms a few years ago....I LOVE green too. Thanks for the coupon advice!

Richelle said...

Looks like a fun race! Congrats to you and your friend! I hope she'll sign up for more races. :)

Nathan said...

Whew! That was cold!!

Bravo for running it with your friend :)

You look like you had a great time and LOVE thos socks!

Fruit Fly said...

I raced at 11:59pm in Eugene that night ... in a skirt. But you win the award for most hard core because you didn't have on pants under like I did! Go You!! :)

That sounds like a fun time with an old friend!

Darlene said...

Great job on the miles!!! This race looked like fun! I'm running in tights --brrr!!