1. This has been an awesome workout/run week. Not only have I been doing my workouts, but Jason has been up before work running as well. On top of running, one of my new favorite things is Just Dance 2. It is awesome. You get a great workout while having a blast. Of course, the kids love it too. A great family event. Check out Little M. What a goof.
2. Back in December I won a sock giveaway from The Happy Runner. I love socks and was so excited to get my package. I thought I'd give my Injinji Socks a test run. Here I am after 5 miles. My socks felt great and there were no issues.
3. I won a bumper sticker and goody package from Keri at The Blue-Eyed Runner. I just got her cute card and treats the other day. I loved it and wanted to share. Thanks Keri!!!!
4. Last night my husband and I went to our local blood drive. We usually always give when they come to town, unless I have a race coming up. It usually zaps me for a week or two. They always check your iron levels before and mine was 15, which I guess is extremely high and great for donating. They asked me if I was willing to do a double red cell donation. They hook you up to apheresis machine (see above) which collects the red blood cells and then returns most of the plasma and platelets back to the donor. I'd never done it before but it started out great. My blood came out fine and I had a very sweet tech person who explained the very cool process. When it came to my blood going back in, it was another story. My arm started to really sting. When the tech looked at my arm it looked like there was actually an egg under my skin. It was that huge and swollen. I had no idea veins could stretch that far. She tried to readjust the needle and turn the machine down to the lowest speed but it wasn't working. She quickly shut things down and got the needle out of my arm, wrapped up, and a mini ice pack taped on top. I felt bad that I didn't get to finish the process but they were still able to get a full red blood cell donation for someone. The tech figured my vein wasn't straight enough so it will be back to normal donations from here on out unless I wanted to risk trying out my other arm.
I wish I had a pic of my arm when it was huge. It is still swollen and starting to change colors a bit. It is extremely sore which has never been a problem before. I'm just glad my arm didn't explode :)
5. Just before midnight last night I got the phone call that my Uncle Roy passed away. He was the one I mentioned last month that had two heart attacks within hours of each other. They never expected him to survive the day. He ended up well enough to be put into a nursing home. He was going for dialysis and had just returned from one of these appointments. He was sitting in his wheel chair, talking and laughing. The next minute he was unresponsive. They called 911 and instantly started working on him. They intubated him and everything but he wasn't coming back this time. They are pretty sure he had another heart attack. His daughter is flying in again from Texas. I'll get more details tomorrow.
So it's been an interesting week. Lots of highs and then topped off with last nights phone call. Since my arm is killing me I've kept a pretty low profile today. I'm thinking it will just be a rest day after all.
I don't want to be a party pooper. I hope you all have a great weekend. Good luck to all of you who have a race!!!!
Don't forget my Allied Medal Hanger Giveaway HERE. Today is the last day to enter!!!


23 comments:
So sorry about your uncle..my sincere sympathies to you and your family. It is great you can give blood, I wish I could do that but I have chronic anemia and they don't accept my "bad blood"..FOR NOW! love you socks!
Stacie Im sorry to hear of your Uncle passing. You guys will be in my prayers.
Ive heard of donating plasma and blood but never what you describe. Sounds pretty interesting though! Too bad it didnt get to complete the process.
Hi there;-)
and so is life. I definitely can relate to much of your post. on all accounts. I'm sorry about your uncle;-(
and how cute that you and your DH go donate blood on a date night??!;-)
I'm sorry for your and your family's loss. Take care.
Very sorry for your loss. Also sorry you got a hematoma during the donation procedure - ouch!
I'm sorry to hear of your Uncle Roy's passing. That just plain sucks. Hope your family is alright.
Also, very cool that you donate blood!
I'm so sorry about your uncle Roy, Stacie.
Take care this weekend. Best wishes for your family.
so sorry about your uncle. you & your family are in my thoughts & prayers!
Sorry about your Uncle, prayers for your family.
Sorry about your uncle! :0(
Wow your Blood donation story made me cringe. I'm a nurse, I hate needles, and I think that the needles they use to get blood out of you are entirely too large. Ugh. lol I do believe that blood donation is important and I'm grateful to those who do it, I just can't. I almost pass out at the sight of that needle. Sad.... lol
Sorry to hear about uncle Roy. So sad.
What a trooper you are to donate and go thru the whole extra process--sorry about all the swelling. EEK!
Love the freebie, you lucky duck.
Also, I have always helped out at the local blood drives but unfortinatly I am to small to donate, really appriciate the people that can and do though!
My iron levels are usually a little too low to donate blood. Out of 5 attempts, I've only been able to successfully donate two or three times. Perhaps I should try again now that I'm on a better multivitamin regimen.
I'm so sorry about the loss of your uncle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Sorry to hear about your uncle.
My girls and I love to play Just Dance and Just Dance 2. It is a great workout!! My youngest son likes to play too and he is pretty darn good at it.
I have the same Injinji socks! LOVE THEM!
Sorry to hear about your uncle.
My girls and I love to play Just Dance and Just Dance 2. It is a great workout!! My youngest son likes to play too and he is pretty darn good at it.
I have the same Injinji socks! LOVE THEM!
I'm sorry for your loss.
On a more positive note, good for you donating blood!!
Also - I bought an Adidas tee today that says "Impossible is Nothing". :)
Someone just suggested to me that I try socks like that since my chubby toes rub on each other and then I end up bleeding through my shoes. Maybe I should test them out after all!
SO glad you didn't share pictures of your arm. I could barely finish that paragraph! ;)
Very sorry to hear about your uncle. :(
So sorry to hear about your uncle! :(
I'm sorry for your loss Stacie.
I have to say in your first pic, your daughter's face is awesome!
I'm so sorry about you and your family's loss!
So sorry about your uncle...
That is so weird with your arm. Yes-very glad it didn't explode!!
Congrats on the great workout/run week!
I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Peace be with your family.
Soooo sorry for your loss. :(
Eeek, even HEARING about your arm gave me the heebe jeebies. I have a weak stomach, so I haven't been able to donate (and have fainted at the sight of needles before)
Post a Comment