Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cupcake Classic 5K ~ Race ReportX3


Since we are so close to Halloween, we went with that theme for our cupcakes.




At Our Official Starting Line

I've been so excited to run the 2nd Annual Cupcake Classic 5K with my girls.  Makenna has participated in several 5K's and a 10K.  Makinley has ran a few miles here and there and runs a ton during soccer.  This was her very first 5K.  The weather has been terrible but we got a break.  It was supposed to rain today but it held off.  The girls and I made our cupcakes last night hoping we'd get to run today.  I decided to pick the girls up after school and brought their running clothes.  They changed in the bathroom at the school and we headed over to the high school track.  Makenna was appalled when we got there and realized that both the JV and Varsity Football teams were practicing in the middle of the track.  There were over 80 players plus coaches.  We got lots of looks as we set up our starting sign,  pinned on our bibs, and stretched one last time.
Makinley Right Before Her Start

I used the stopwatch on my phone for Makinley since I figured I'd finish before her.  I started her on her way.  Makenna was next as I let her borrow my Garmin.  I got it all set up and pushed start.  Off she went.  I used the Endomondo Tracker App on my phone to track me.  I pulled it up, hit start, and I was off chasing after my girls.

I ran 5.6 miles yesterday on the treadmill.  They were pretty fast for me.  I'm still getting over my cold and have a lingering cough.  I could tell my legs were tired the first lap but soon they warmed up and I just got into my steady pace.  It took awhile before I caught up to Makinley.  She would do super sprints and then walk and then take off again.  I eventually caught up to Makenna, too.  She was blaming her slowness on not hydrating enough.

We were cracking up as we kept running our laps.  The football players were staring at us every lap.  The funny part was as they started running their plays, they began to make grunting/animal sounds.  My girls thought is was hilarious :) Several times we barely escaped a football flying out onto the track after a missed catch.  I think it just added an element of survival.

I thought I was getting close so I checked my phone to see 3.15 on the screen.  I quickly hit stop and walked the rest of the way to get my camera so I could take pics of the girls finishing.  I didn't have to wait long for either of them.

Both Girls Headed To The Finish



After we finished, we packed our stuff over to the stadium steps where I presented the girls with their finisher medals.  They were so excited and happy to get their first official race bling.  Then we pulled out the cupcakes.  The girls quickly devoured theirs but I was good and as much as I wanted one, I was strong and resisted.  I had enough fun making them and watching the girls enjoy the whole event.  What a fun experience.  My girls have been looking forward to this for weeks.  I'm really glad they enjoyed it regardless of our huge audience of football players :)  Huge thanks to Jess at Run With Jess for making this event possible.  We had a blast.  I can't wait to check out everyone else's race reports.


 So Excited To Get Their Medals



Just Slightly Happy To Get Their Cupcakes :)

Love This Pic & Love My Girls

OFFICIAL RACE RESULTS

STACIE
3.15 Miles
33:29

MAKENNA
3.1 Miles
37:10

MAKINLEY ~ FIRST 5K
3.1 Miles
39:36




Don't forget to vote for my blog for the Top 25 Health & Wellness Mom Blogs - 2012 Circle of Moms.  I appreciate every vote I get.  You can vote once a day until Nov. 1st.



3 comments:

Matt Pattison said...

Well done all 3 of you i hope when my boys ae old enough they will b e running with me too.

The Green Girl said...

Loved this! So much fun - times three!

Jamie said...

I'm really enjoying your blog! I've recently started running 5ks with my husband, and I'm hoping my oldest will "catch the running bug." We're gonna introduce her to running this weekend at a stroller roll with her and her baby sister in our double jogging stroller. I hope she wants to get out and run! LOL

Anyway, thanks for sharing your life!

Happy blogging!
((hugz))

Jamie