Friday, July 15, 2011

NKOTBSB Concert Recap

I was lucky enough to win concert tickets to the New Kids On The Block & Backstreet Boys concert last Friday night.  I loved the NKOTB but never got to see them in concert.  As much as I wanted to see them, I didn't want to pay for tickets.  Luckily, that problem was solved.  The next issue was finding an accomplice.  It worked out that I was able to take my awesome and amazing friend, Jessica, who had never been to a concert before.  I picked her up around 5PM and we were on the road.  We made a quick pit stop to top off the gas tank and to get a few snacks and beverages.  I knew I wasn't buying food inside the Tacoma Dome and I wanted to make sure I had something to drink afterwards.  We made good time and ended up taking the exit just after the Tacoma Dome.  Smart move that took us almost directly to the parking lot.  We had $21 cash and figured that would be enough for parking....wrong.  $25 Baby.  I pulled in, confident that I could find enough change in my purse and car to make it.  We did.  After some hysterical giggling we were parked and headed into the building.
 Here we are in line waiting to buy some NKOTBSB merchandise.  Painful, but necessary.  I had to get a t-shirt after waiting 20+ years to see these guys.  I got an awesome shirt and blinking rings, yes, we are that cool.

After a long wait in line we made our way to our seats.  I was very happy with the view.  Pretty good for free tickets.  At 7:30PM the show began.  After a funny intro out came Matthew Morrison.  I don't often watch Glee but I'm sure you will recognize this guy.  He put on a great show for almost an hour.  After he was done, and a quick stage change, the real show began.

The noise was unbelievable.  Probably the loudest crowd/concert I've been too which is saying something.  The whole place was rocking in more ways than one.  All the stands were shaking and bouncing.  It was crazy.  I was way more excited than I thought I'd be.  When the guys came out, I was screaming with the rest of them.

 Both groups started out together and then took turns singing some of their greatest hits.  I think they all sounded great.  Both groups made a point of making a connection with the crowd.  They brought fans on stage, they made surprise entrances on the stairways, (see below) and performed out into the crowd.  The stage was set up to give everyone a great view.  Along with their hits they also threw in some Coldplay, Prince, Bel Biv Devoe, Queen, & AC/DC.
Donnie & AJ ~ The Bad Boys
 Here is the video I caught on my phone of Nick (BSB) coming down the stairway next to us.  He was followed by Brian. A girl two seats closer in our row was able to touch his hand.  She was a bit excited after that.

If you watch this video, prepare yourself.  This was during the NKOTB song "Cover Girl."  If I wasn't deaf before the tank top came off, I was afterwards.  Donnie just happened to be my favorite a lifetime ago.

The concert kept on rocking.  For the encore the NKOTB sang "Hangin' Tough" & BSB's sang "Everybody."  This was followed by all the guys coming together to mix them together for the finale.  When the lights went down, it was 11:00PM.  We actually made it to the restroom and out to the car by 11:13PM.  Then we sat, and sat, and sat.  We were laughing and having fun while we waited.  I was a tiny bit concerned with how much sleep I'd get before getting up and heading right back up for the Dirty Dash the next day.  

Once we made it to the freeway, it was smooth sailing.  I had Jessica dropped off and I was in bed just before 1:00AM.  Guess what?  It was all worth it.  I was more than pleasantly surprised with how great the show was.  If you get the chance to see them, do it.
I love my shirt!!!  Yes, I'm a nerd :)

BTW ~ This post does include some cardio/running.  We ran all the way back to the car.


6 comments:

Running Librarian said...

glad you had a good time. I love some New Kids in concert :)

Fruit Fly said...

My. Legs. Are. COVERED. in. Goose bumps.

SO AWESOME!!! I have got to make it to one of their concerts! I bought tickets for Portland the second they went on sale in 2009. We were sooooo excited. I couldn't contain myself. Then I get back from vacation just a month before the concert - and the concert was canceled. Broke my heart. I have yet to recover.

I'm loving that you got a t-shirt AND the blinking ring!!

Angela said...

I told you cover girl was amazing!! :-D

Best concert ever! :-D

Glad you had fun!!

Fruit Fly said...

Confession: I was so jazzed after reading this post that, and this is just between all of us, when I went in to use the bathroom at work I locked the door. Stopped. And broke out in NKOTB dance moves. I might do it again before the day is over!

Amanda@runninghood said...

First of all, you. look Gorgeous in that picture of you at the bottom! SEriously hot stuff! :) What great memories here!!

And there is an awesome local giveaway on my blog today so it would be worth the entering and with your luck you'd probably win. Please share with local friends...they don't ahve to comment on my blog to enter...they can e-mail. :)

Becka said...

I adore NKOTB. Yay that you got to see them in concert, they put on an AWESOME show. I own more than one shirt :D (but no blinking rings...)