| I met up with Blonde Pony & Harmony in the lobby. It wasn't planned but it worked out great. We walked down to the start together. |
| Why are we smiling??? I was just so happy to be hanging out with another runner before the start. I felt bad about the weather for Harmony's first marathon. |
| Headed to the start. It was still pretty dark. |
The race start was different this year. The course was different in the beginning but no hills were added so I was good with that. I wore my poncho until just after Mile 1. I was already getting too hot so I tossed it. There was debris everywhere. I began watching for Jason. I started looking for his umbrella but I couldn't spot it. There were a ton of spectators, like normal, but the rain and darkness didn't help with spotting him. I was bummed that I didn't get to see him but just focused on weaving through all the runners between Miles 2-4. I was feeling really good and didn't have any issues.
Between Miles 4-6 I was on the lookout for Jason again. I didn't know when any of my other friends might show up to watch but I figured if I found him I'd find others. I kept looking on both sides of the road but never spotted anyone. That took me down a few notches. I was really trying not to be upset but I knew the possibility of seeing anyone again until the finish was slim. Tressa and Jesse saw me through this section but I missed them somehow. Sorry guys.
I turned my attention back to my music and surviving the out and back. I knew this would be a great place to try and catch some of my running buddies and cheer them on. Around Mile 7 I saw Janna and screamed my head off. I was so excited to see someone. Luckily, she saw me and waved back. I kept looking but didn't see anyone else. I was thrilled to go around the cone at the turn-a-round. My next goal was to see Kim at Mile 10.5. They had two aid stations fairly close together. I made a point to grab some Ultima and scan over everyone at both of them but I still didn't see Kim. Another bummer.
Miles 11-12 were a little rough. I was cheered on by some awesome volunteers and spectators so that helped a lot. I was just focusing on reaching the halfway mark. I love the downhill section before reaching that area so I felt like I picked it up a little. I was thrilled to cross that mark. My next goal, the St. Johns Bridge.
Miles 13-16 seem to always take forever. The bridge seems to loom out in front of you but it never gets closer. In past Portland Marathons I have been surprised by having friends and Jason show up along this stretch. Due to the conditions and craziness I didn't know if that would happen this year. Then I saw it, Jason's umbrella. I tried not to get too excited since I didn't know for sure if it was them. As I got closer I again tried to make myself go faster. My knee had begun to act up. As I got closer this is what I saw. The best race crew/support team ever. I don't think anyone knows how amazing and wonderful it is to see people you love when you are in the middle of a marathon. I'll always be grateful. I love you guys!!!
| Amber & Brice (SIL & Husband) Tressa & Jesse (Adorable Wife & Track Coach) |
Here's a few photos from their point of view. Looks like fun, huh?
| Notice the guy on my left? That's Jose. We kept passing each other and eventually became partners in pain. |
I'm still smiling.
I used the climb up to St. Johns Bridge to stretch out my legs. I love this part of the course. The bridge is amazing no matter what the weather. I was so excited to make it to Mile 17 in the middle of the bridge. My next goal was to focus on trying my best to look good for a photographer on the other side. Those are usually the best race shots. I was so happy to be on the other side and know that I was now heading back towards the finish line. The course goes through some residential areas and some hilly areas. I've always loved this side with all of the down hills. I started to speed up and suddenly my knee felt like it was going to explode. The pain was so bad that it almost took me down. I didn't have control of it for a minute. Luckily, my buddy came by and asked if I was okay. He saw that I barely escaped a crash. I took a few deep breathes and kept walking. After a few steps it felt okay so I just focused on going as fast as I could to try and give it a rest. I continued to try and run but every time that I did, my knee kept freaking out. I was getting pretty annoyed and frustrated. I felt trapped by my body. I hadn't hit a wall. I felt great and wanted to go and couldn't.
This is between Mile 18-19. Jason, Amber, and Brice surprised me here. I couldn't believe they were there. I was so happy. I was so worried that they would be freaking out since I was way behind my predicted finish time. At least I was able to tell them what was happening so I knew they wouldn't send the paramedics out looking for me.
I kept trying so hard to run. I've never been so frustrated. I just wanted to run. Every time I made an attempt the pain in my knee just got worse. It scared me on several occasions. I knew I was going to have my worst time ever but I still didn't want to give up. I had the feeling that if I kept pushing it, I might not even be able to walk so I tried to be careful.
From roughly Mile 21-24 is a lot of downhill. I LOVE this part of the course. You are headed back into the city and towards the bridge. This has always been the point where I pick it up big time. I once again attempted and just about went down. Did I mention I was frustrated??? It makes me want to cry just writing about it. It was probably a good thing I had Jose to distract me. I did warn him that at any time I might have an emotional breakdown or worse case scenario, he might possibly have to carry me across the finish. I was only partly joking.
I reached Mile 24 before the bridge. Only 2.6 miles left. I was looking forward posing for the photographer on the other side. When I finally saw him he was goofing around with his camera. It's not like I could slow down any more for him so I just kept going. No bridge photos for me :( After having a crappy race I was holding out for the small things.
Mile 25-26 is always the longest stretch. It goes on forever. I had wanted to "run" the last mile but my knee was so bad I was just praying for a decent jog to the finish. Tressa & Jesse surprised me right before Mile 26. I was so happy to see them. At that point all I wanted to do was cry. I was so happy to see them. They were an awesome support crew and just the boost that I needed to make it to the finish. As we turned the first corner at Mile 26, Jose started to coach me on. He was in pain and yet he was still trying to get me going for a faster finish. About halfway to the last corner my knee felt like it exploded. It was terrible but with Jose cheering me on and with friends and family waiting just around the corner, I sucked it up and just kept going.
| Jose and I rounding the last corner. |
Still smiling :) I can't help but love the experience regardless of the conditions. Plus, I had amazing friends and family to cheer me on. I was so happy. You can't tell that it feels like someone is taking a hatchet to my knee.
Now you can see the back of my Time Bandit shirt :) Jose was such a great coach/buddy he even let me pass him at the end. Or maybe I was actually faster, who knows.
| This guy was a great cheerleader at the end too. Notice I'm smiling again? |
Once I got across the finish I got my medal and space blanket. When I went to start walking again my knee seized up. It was done. It was very painful just trying to walk/shuffle through the food area. If this would have happened before I don't know how I would have finished. There was a photographer taking shots so I smiled because I was thrilled to have survived. I grabbed a few food items and headed towards the shirt table. I was making sure to get mine. I was worried they would run out. After I grabbed my shirt I hobbled over to the finish photo area. The lady was very nice and took a couple shots for me. I tossed my space blanket back on and headed to the shute to the family waiting area. I was so happy to see my people. Words can't express. I felt so guilty most of the race. I felt bad for everyone who had to wait so long for me to finish.
Here I am with Tressa & Jesse. Thank you guys so much for sharing this weekend with me and for being such a great support. I appreciate it so much. I love you guys!!!
| Amber & Brice are new residents to the Portland area. I was so thrilled that they were able to come experience the marathon. Thank you guys!!! |
No race is complete without a pic of me and Jason.
I kept having to hold back tears. I'm usually emotional anyway at these things but just knowing I made it after struggling so much was huge. And as always, having support is the biggest bonus I could ask for. I think it helped knowing that I somehow now had to make it back to the hotel room before our late checkout. Jesse ran to get their car and we started heading that direction. He found us pretty quickly and I hobbled through traffic and pretty much just dove into the back seat. Jason and Tressa hopped in too and we got there pretty quickly. Going up the stairs was fun :) I immediately started stripping stuff off and Jason started packing stuff down to the car. I had 15 minutes. I somehow managed to strip, rinse off, get dressed, and get to the lobby right on time. It wasn't the long hot shower I was hoping for but it still felt like heaven just to warm up and get the sweat off. And yes, I still had my gallons of sweat sticking to me even after all the rain. Thanks you Jesse & Tressa for the ride!!!!
Once we checked out Jason told me Jesse & Tressa had to leave already to head back to pick up their future track stars. I was sad I didn't get to say goodbye. We then headed to grab something quick to eat with Brice & Amber before heading back to get our girls. By the time we got there my voice was starting to get funny. I forgot to mention that the cold I had been fighting all week was in full force this morning. I also kept with my tradition of not sleeping the night before a marathon. I'm not sure how to fix that. Today was my brother, Dylan's, birthday so we got to see him before heading home. My knee was a mess and I just started feeling wore and worse. We got the girls to bed and I just bundled up. At some point I crawled into bed and crashed.
Since my shirt was wet my arms rubbed on it and were bleeding at one point during the race. It was killing me. That kept me awake a lot and of course I kept getting more and more sore. At some point I realized I had slept through being able to register for the Seattle Rock-n-Roll Half for next June. They had a $20 discount which was a huge deal. Jason was going to register for his first half and run it with me. Now that we missed the discount he doesn't want to do it :(
Overall, I am happy that I have completed my 4th Portland Marathon. I would be happier if I could get faster instead of slower. The rain, cold, and fewer training miles because of my knee did not help. I really wish I could have seen the rest of my blog buddies and fellow runners out on the course. I'm sad that I'm finally part of a running family and I still miss out on everything. I'm going to do whatever I can to strengthen my knee, lose weight, and be more prepared for next time. I refuse to give up. Running is far too important in my life. I love it and all that it has added to my life. I have the best running blogger friends and family.
Congrats to all of my amazing friends who completed the Portland Marathon and all the other races on 10/10/10!!!
As much as I'd rather not post this, here are my official results. So embarrassing.
Race Results
Bib: 2256
Overall: 6772 out f 7434
Women: 3596 out of 4132
F 30-34: 661 out of 711
Age/Grade: 35.26% Place: 7092
Finish: 6:28:05 Pace: 14:49
Tag Time: 6:28:05
Gun Time: 6:38:49
Split Times
10KM: 1:10:38 Pace: 11:22
8.9M: 1:41:04 Pace: 11:22
Half: 2:43:27 Pace: 12:29
17.5M: 3:54:50 Pace: 13:26
20M: 4:39:22 Pace: 13:59
21.1M: 4:58:26 Pace: 14.09
26 comments:
I wish that Portland had gone the way you wanted. Hopefully your knee issue isn't anything to worry about. Take it easy!
And I'm sure RNR will pass along another coupon and you'll sucker Jason in!
YAY you! Let's the tears flow! I love emotion.
Love all the pictures!
GREAT RR!
cool stuff ... finishing is always a great accomplishment!
Sorry about the knee. Hope it gets better quickly. And yeah you for finding the stuff to push through anyhow.
Like Tonia said, I bet that RnR posts a different discount soon enough... they are always doing special discounts...
Great report! Sorry to hear about your knee and hope that it is feeling better... For all the trials you faced I'm so impressed that you were able to keep smiling!
I'm so proud of you for pushing yourself and finishing. Many people would have quit with knee pain like that, but you stuck it out! Way to go! Thanks for sharing your experience!
Girl, don't you dare be embarrassed of that. You are one tough 'mother runner' and accomplished so much on Sunday!!! I got chills reading your report. I love the story of you and Jose and for the encouragement you guys provided for each other. I'm sorry it wasn't the outcome you wanted...boy do I understand but you finished something HUGE with a really bad injury. Be proud, friend. So glad to be able to have met you. Congrats!!
I love you too and am so glad we got to be there for you! Sorry we had to jet, dang kids! Way to push through the pain!
I love that you were smiling the whole time. That's awesome!!! GREAT JOB, and thanks for sharing your pics, story.
yes I too loved Jose! you are awesome and my inspiration. YOU JUST RAN ANOTHER MARATHON!! Just think of healing and recovery! I am toying with the idea of the R & R Marathon as well????
Sorry to hear that your knee got in the way of your race. I can FEEL your frustration, but it's nice to see that you're still smiling in the pics. Congrats on pushing through!!! Hope you feel better!!
You have nothing to be embarrassed about--you pushed through a tough race and tough conditions. Congrats!
hey, hope i didn't pressure you to get the race report up so soon! wow, that was fast! sorry it didn't go as well as you had hoped. sounds like conditions were really rough!! great pictures, you look so good in ALL of them! i hope your knee is feeling better? RNR does a lot of discounts so hopefully they'll have another one soon. If i hear of anything I'll let you know. That would be so special to run a half with Jason. hope your recovery goes well! take care!
Great race report and pictures!
You should be so proud of yourself!
I hope your knee issues isn't anything serious and that you are feeling better.
Great race report! So sorry I didn't see you at our water stop. We got bounced over to mile 8. The weather made it so hard to find people! So very proud of you and what you accomplished on Sunday.
LOVED your race recap. You did amazing by sticking to it & working hard even though you suffered so badly.
Congrats on the finish, & thanks for stopping by my blog!
Congratulations on pushing through warrior style! I think all of you who endured the conditions on Sunday are amazing!
Hey you got it done! I hope your knee feels better.
(Have you tried doing exercises to strengthen your quads? the quads are what stabilizes the knee and keeps it tracking straight)
Anyway, it is clear you are one determined runner! Excelsior!
Stacie, I think you have so much to be proud of - you kept going even though you hurt and you stayed mentally strong through the toughest of conditions. You ROCK!!!
Congrats! Thanks for the great race pics and report.
All your support people made me smile. Sorry to hear about your knee, but way to fight till the end!
Congratulations on a great race!
Loved the VERY thorough report. You could have begun this post with "Once Upon a Time."
Love the pics too!
Stacie...you did it...again!! You crossed that finish line. Remember that!! Here's to quick healing and future marathons!!
CONGRATULATIONS!! I admire your attitude - even when you were hurting you still sound so positive and determined. That is very cool. And Hooray for Jose! Very handy to end up with your own personal cheerleader. Nice job!
~RR
You are so positive! I admire you for that, very inspiring. Thanks and Congratulations to you.
More power!
Really good report. I've heard about a lot of crappy races @ portland. I just think that it wasn't a good day to race - plan and simple!!
How is your knee holding up now???
Post a Comment