I heard about this run a few weeks ago before all the snow started and thought that it would be fun. It is a Year To Year 5K Fun Run in Longview, WA. Since the weather has still been crazy I was holding out to see how it would be. The race was supposed to start at 11:50P.M. That way you would actually be running when the New Year began. I talked to Mom yesterday morning and she said she would watch the girls if we wanted to do it. I talked to Jason on his lunch and put the idea in his head. He really isn't into running. He called back later and said that he wanted to do it. It seemed like it was off and on throughout the day. The final decision wasn't made until Jason was home for awhile.
I have never been this unprepared for a run. I feel like a blob after being trapped inside the house for so long. I knew it would be interesting.
It was raining and cold on the way down to Longview but I was excited. We got there early so we could register. I signed up for a sweatshirt too after I saw them. They were going to order more but said they might have extras after everyone had finished the race. There was some more motivation right there. I really didn't want to drive back to Longview in a few weeks to pick up a sweatshirt.
Jason & Joey Marty showed up to run too. Joey was one of the girls that I finished the marathon with. It was fun to know someone else there.
The run was very laid back. No bibs or time chips. This was also the first race that I have done without my iPod to keep track of my time and distance. I just used my watch as soon as the race began. It was a very nice course. Around 1 mile the fireworks began and we were officially in 2009. The fireworks were great. We ran by a school and they had a ton of the big ones going off. All the sound was bouncing off the buildings so it made it very loud. It was awesome. I know we could have finished a little faster but considering we hadn't done anything in weeks I was happy with our 33:33 time.
We went back into the building and I checked to see if they had any sweatshirts left. They had one left in my size and they let me have it. I was very happy. We grabbed a cookie, water, and jumped in the car to head home. I'm hoping this will be a new New Years tradition for us.
2 comments:
What better way to start the New Year, right? Nicely done Stacie and Jason!
Man running in the cold...brrr. I'll just stick to indoor sports like Wii bowling. I heard its good exercise.
Post a Comment