Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dog Rescue


After we evacuated last night I went to stay at my Dads and Jason stayed at the neighbors at the end of the driveway. We stayed until the driveway started to flood. This morning I talked to Jason and he had waded through the driveway in boots to feed the dogs and see how things looked. The water was rising fast.

Around 10am he called to say the neighbors were evacuating because their driveway was flooding too. At 11am he called again to say he just spoke to our other neighbor, the Evans's and that it was getting really bad. If we were going to get the dogs out then I needed to go asap.

My Dad drove my brother and I out to the house. The Newaukum River was up to the road almost everywhere and covered it in several places. The rain was horrible. We made it to the end of the driveway and just had enough room to pull the truck in. The pic shows the detached garage on the left and the house further to the right. There was no way we could make it through walking or driving from our driveway so we went to Aaron Evans's house. My brother and I put on waders and followed Aaron and his wife into the water. It was surrounding their house too. We had to walk through trees on his property to get to his fence that he had cut through. The water was over my knees at this point. Once we climbed through the fence we got down to the driveway and headed towards the detached garage. A few steps in and it was over my waders and to my waist. The current was very fast and the water was very cold. We walked around the garage and headed to the house where the dogs were locked in their kennel in the laundry room. We got in the house and started putting more stuff up. The water was rushing past the house all the way up to the decks on both sides. Looking out the back window all you could see was rushing river, debris floating by, and I also noticed that the water was high enough to completely cover the fence in spots. We worked fast. I made by brother grab my computer and then we grabbed the dogs. As we headed back into the water I noticed it was already higher. The water was freezing as it crept even higher on my body. It look a lot longer to get back to the fence. The current was so fast we could hardly take a step forward. The ground was uneven and our legs were freezing up. We finally made it back through the fence and trees to the high point of concrete. We put the dogs in the back of my Dads truck. Aarons wife gave me and Dylan towels so we could strip down our bottom halves for the ride back.

I really don't think I realized how scary and dangerous it all was until we got back. Anything could have been floating down the current in that water. It was very deep, very fast, and very cold. I'm just thankful that I was able to get more stuff up and save the dogs.

1 comment:

Karen Seal said...

Oh my goodness that is SO scary! I'm glad you were able to get the dogs out!! I hope your house is ok! :0(