Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday Flood Update


Last night Jason stayed at his Dad's house. The girls and I are still at my Dads in Vader. Even though my family didn't think it was safe yet I wanted to go and see if I could get to the house. Jason had spoken to Aaron and found out the water was goiing down.

Mom wanted to come with me so off we went. The girls stayed with Uncle Dylan. The water was definitely way farther back from the road but still nasty looking. We pulled into the driveway and the water was lower. It was still too high for anything to safely pass through it though. I got out and took a few pics.

You can see the water level was still high on the detached garage.





I drove over to Aarons house. He had called Jason earlier to say that the water somehow didn't get into the house. That was a relief. I saw Aaron through the trees towards my driveway so I walked the same path as yesterday to go check things out. I can't even describe the mud and devastation. I safely climbed through the fence again and this is the view from that direction.

I walked into the water a little and discovered it was still too deep for just boots. Aaron walked over to the detached garage and opened the door for me. He peeked in and decided I needed to get over there. He had chest waders on so he decided he would just pack me on his back through the deep part. That was funny. I feel bad for Aaron. This was the first view of the mud and mess outside the door. The mud is very deep.

Even though I had witnessed the water levels first hand and very close yesterday I couldn't believe how high it had damaged things. The carpet in the office is muddy and brown. Things were turned over and there was more damage than I was expecting.

When we opened the door between the office and the garage part of the building it was very dark. There were no lights so it was very hard to see. I could tell that it looked like a bomb had gone off. I just couldn't understand what I was seeing. Things that had been on opposite sides of the garage were in new places. Things that had been neatly stacked were demolished. Things that had no way of getting in the water were wet and muddy. Aaron picked something up that instantly caused my heart to stop. It was something that had been in a keepsake box for Makenna. I reached down and pulled something out of the mud. I couldn't even tell what it was. I wiped it off and saw that it was Makenna's baby book. I completely freaked out at that moment. I just started crying and trying to reach down in the mud and pull stuff out. I just kept finding item after item that was destroyed. I decided at that point I needed to just back away for a moment. It was so dark that there really wasn't anything that I could do. I felt really bad for Aaron. We needed to go back so I walked as far as I could and then he threw me up on his back again to get across the deep water. The whole way back to the car I felt like I was going to get sick. We had to get back since my brother had to go somewhere.


The water line on the garage door on the inside of the detached garage.

My computer desk, chair, and Mary Kay totes that were tossed over and destroyed.

Here is our safe that was in the office part of the detached garage. You can see a clear water line on it. The water has wicked itself almost to the top of the inside of the safe. Very nasty.

Here is the view of the house from the detached garage. After everything I saw I was upset and decided I would just take Aarons word for now that the house was okay. I can't believe so much of our stuff is destroyed. What scares me is that I haven't hardly seen anything yet.


I met Jason after he got off work at the end of the driveway. We made it back to the house so he could see the damage. It was already dark so it was hard for him to see everything. He is still in his 6 month probation at work so he couldn't take any time off for this. It has killed him to not be able to help more.

We went in the house and it was dry. It was very cold though. We looked in the attached garage and it was a muddy mess too. The smell is awful.


We went out in the detached garage again before we left. We both just feel sick. Every time we move we lose something important of ours. We are so sick of moving. Now everything we have is out in this detached garage. Jason has to work tomorrow but I will be here first thing with some help to see if I can save anything.

No comments: