
Tomorrow is the Heart & Sole 5K/10K down in Longview. Last year was the first year I ran it. We had family friends that walked the 10K and pushed Makinley in their jog stroller. Pretty rough for her. Makenna wanted to run last year so even though I wanted to do the 10K I decided to run the 5K with her. The course loops around a lake. One loop is a 5K and you just repeat to get the 10K distance. Some of it is paved but a lot is trail/gravel material. I enjoy these type of runs to give my knee a break from running on the pavement all the time. Last year Makenna did great. She had her moments of slowing down and then speeding up to where she would just fly. This is hard on the Mom who needs to try and maintain her pace. When she could see the finish for the 5K she ran through it. I told her she was done but she insisted on wanting to try and do the 10K. I knew it would be interesting. She struggled more on the second loop but was so excited to see the finish again. Of course she turned on the nitrous and beat me at the end :) The event staff were so impressed that she had finished and done so well. She won a cool prize. I was very proud of her.
I know that tomorrow will be interesting. I really don't want her running a 10K again until she's a little bigger. She'll either do the 5K or they have a mini K which Makinley will be doing. This will be Makinley's first official event so I'm really excited. Jason will be there this year so he can help whoever chooses to do the smaller event. If Makenna wants to do the 5K I will run it with her. The only sad thing about tomorrow is the mini K starts after the longer events so I'll miss it. Hopefully Jason can get some good pics. I'm really excited to spend tomorrow with my family and get to run with my girls.
3 comments:
Have a great race and be sure to update us afterwards.
It sounds like running is becoming a family event! Have fun!! :)
I am always bummed when the kids races are during or after the race.. UGH!! Good luck to all
Post a Comment