


Last year I convinced Jason to run the Year to Year 5K in Longview with me. It ended up being a pretty cool experience. Even though running is not his favorite thing to do, he went along with it. This year we were back for round two.
We started by dropping the girls off at my Dad's in Vader. We visited for a bit and headed out into the very dark and rainy night. For some reason the thought of running in the rain at night doesn't bother me. Is it because you can't see it??? Maybe I'm just crazy :)
We arrived in Longview around 9PM. We had an Applebee's gift card and Jason was starving. I wasn't but decided to eat a little salad and cheese sticks. It was New Year's Eve, right? I was going all out. After we ate we headed to a Starbuck's to get my signature hot chocolate with caramel sauce. Gift cards are the best. We went to the building where the race would start to pick up our sweatshirts. They are great quality unlike a few things you get at a run. I love mine from last year. We hung out in the gym area for a bit and then decided to go hang out in the car until it got closer for the race to start. Jason was already exhausted so he took a little snooze. Thank goodness for my iPhone to keep me company to pass the time. Since Jason was sleeping I ended up drinking most of the very large hot chocolate. I couldn't let it go to waste. Around 11:30PM we headed back inside to use the restroom and do some stretching.
Last years crowd seemed way bigger to me. I was surprised by that. It was probably still a decent turnout considering the holiday and time of night. At 11:45PM we headed back outside. While Jason slept in the car the weather had cleared and it was a perfect night for running. It turned out that way last year too. I'm very thankful for that. Mostly so I wouldn't have a 30 minute ride home in soaked clothes.
We got into position and the horn went off at 11:50PM. Off I went with Jason right beside me. By the time we hit the first corner he had fallen to right behind me. I figured he was just drafting me. This is his usual game plan that he follows with passing me at the end in a cloud of dust. By this point I was already recognizing the fact that I felt great. My stride was longer and it felt like I was moving much more quickly than normal. Of course my brain was going a million miles per hour with dreams of maintaining the pace for the whole distance. At midnight the fireworks were going off all around us in town. I love this part. All the lights and the cool sounds of the explosions bouncing off the buildings. At about halfway I noticed Jason seemed a little further back but he kept gaining off and on. I figured he was fine. I was amazed at the fact that I was still feeling so great. The best part......I was actually passing people. Not just old or larger but young and male. Very exciting for a girl who watches everyone pass her most of the time. I tried not to get excited about it and just focus. I made it to the last turn that would bring us back around to the road we started on. I knew the finish was somewhere straight ahead of me. I got past two more guys when we suddenly had to come to a stop for a couple cars. My mind was just screaming. I hate having to stop in the middle of a race. Very frustrating being so close to the end. The light seemed to take forever and we were off again. I saw the finish ahead of me and tried to step it up. I was nice and let the two guys beat me :) I didn't even care I was so excited. I ran by the timer and discovered I finished in 28:35. My second best 5K time. It would have been close if it wasn't for the traffic issues. I stopped my iPod and looked around for Jason. I thought he would be fairly close behind me. I waited for a bit and then started to walk back to find him. Let's just say he might listen to my running fashion advice next time. He had way too many layers and cotton stuff on. Good ideas but not in the right combo. He had overheated and wasn't feeling his best. His time was just over 33 minutes. Considering he isn't able to work out or run ever he did great. We went back inside to stretch and get a little snack and water. I was still way to excited to contain myself. I know it's probably not a huge thing for most people but since starting my running journey in 2006, instead of continuing to improve my times I have slowed. I'm not looking to win anything. My main goal is to maintain and improve my own times for myself. This has been a little glimmer into the possibility of maybe attaining some of those dreams and goals I've set. I can't help but be excited.
I give the race a big thumbs up. I will continue to participate in this run as long as I am able. That's not to say I didn't feel a few issues with eating Applebee's and the hot chocolate a little too close to run time. That was my fault. Plus, a bonus for next year will be including at least one of my girls in the family activity. All kids under 12 run for free. I'm looking forward to keeping this New Year's tradition going.
2 comments:
Your Dad lives in Vader, I always laugh when I see the signs to Vader because of Star Wars..
Congrats! Proper gear is sooo important.. Sounds like you had a fun run. I too hate stopping mid run and especially mid race..
I felt surprised when I read you had to stop and wait on traffic during the run! I just thought any run would be outlined to avoid such things! Sounds like you had an enjoyable run! Congratulations on doing so well, and congratulations to Jason for doing it with you!:)
Post a Comment