Today I headed to Rochester, WA. to take part in their new event for this year, The Santa Run. It looks like they have held it in previous years but have started it up again. Me being desperate for more local runs, jumped right on it. I had been toying with the thought of running the half marathon but due to the fact that our Christmas celebration started today with family as well, I had to make it back home sooner. If only I was a faster runner then it wouldn't be an issue. It's not too late for Santa to bring me some faster legs :) If only it were that easy.
I left Jason and the girls at home and headed towards Rochester. Unfortunately for me, I get a nervous bladder before every run and so I played it safe and stopped at one of the gas stations just off the freeway. I knew the bathroom situation wouldn't be the best at the run and my bladder has no patience. I noticed a guy checking me out on the way in. Not in a creepy way but it caught my attention. When I came back out he commented on my running attire and before I knew it we discovered he was an old coach at Rochester and knew several people I went to school with from Toledo. He wished me luck and away I went. Small world.
I pulled into the packed parking lot. It had been raining all morning so there were puddles and mud everywhere. I headed into the building to get my packet. I got my race number on and then ran back out to put everything else in my car. I went back into the building and hung out with Rob & Theresa Myers who were going to walk the 10K. They are family friends who have recently begun attending the local runs. They have been doing awesome. One of my other friends, Kellie Wright, was also there. Today was her birthday and she decided to come check out the run and do the 1 miler. She took 1st in her age division. Great job Kellie!!!!!!

I have become a fan of Mels @ tallmomontherun@blogspot.com. She is an amazing runner and Mom. She participated in the Halloween event in October so I luckily had a heads up on what to expect. I had ran a few 5K's starting from Swede Hall before but nothing longer. The course's were all different. Mel noted that the course was not the proper distance when she ran the half marathon. I was hoping that it was something that had been addressed. I have already been spoiled by participating in other amazing runs where you are chip timed and the course is great. But, once again, I am desperate for local stuff so I just went for it.
The run started out great once you made it through the muddy potholes in the parking lot and out onto the pavement. I was so proud watching Kellie running ahead of me and probably embarrassed her by my cheer of support at the 1 mile turn-around.
I have become use to people passing me. I don't like it and I try not to let it get to me. Running is so much a mental sport. It's hard for me to see someone who is a lot older or larger to zip past. Once I got into my groove I tried to focus and keep my face at an angle to keep most of the rain out of my eyes. The rain wasn't a downpour but it was steady. I was actually pretty happy with the conditions considering.
At the 5K turn-around they had gatorade and water. I just took a quick sip and kept going. Between miles 2-2 1/2 all of the runners were treated to an extra show on the side of the road. A slaughter company truck was in a driveway right next to the left side of the road making short work of two cows. Growing up in the country and with Rambo as my Dad none of this bothered me. I actually had to smile. The men working on the cows were enjoying watching the reactions from the runners.
I was happy to see the 10K turn-around and tried to speed up a bit. I took a quick couple bites of a GU they offered me, chased it with some water, and headed back a little more focused. I've noticed that somewhere in my mind something clicks when I do an out and back course. Lately, I can tell that I can actually keep my pace up. It will be something I will continue to work on. I'm also hoping Santa will bring me a Garmin watch. It would be great to have another tool to help me improve.
There weren't as many runners around me now. There was a guy that I had been following and somewhere along here I passed him. I was entering the slaughter zone again and the wind and changed to where you could smell it a good 1/4 mile down the road. I was again thankful that it didn't bother me. As I passed the truck the guys were looking and I gave them a thumbs up. I could hear them laughing over my iPod. There were runners behind me and I was determined not to let them pass. I tried to focus and finish. When I made it to the cone that marked the last 1/2 mile it seemed to go on forever. Then there was major confusion for the runners that were finishing or continuing on for the half marathon. That cost a lot of people precious time. I finally made it to the finish. I guess it was the finish since they took my strip off my race bib. No one said a thing to me. Very odd. My time was 1:09:35. After feeling so good throughout the run I couldn't figure out why I was that slow. After checking out my iPod it showed a run of 6.68. That makes a bit of a difference. All runs before hand had been calibrated correctly so I knew that it had to be fairly accurate. No wonder then end seemed so far away.
I needed to get home to help finish up preparing our first Christmas dinner of the Christmas Break. I knew everyone was waiting for me. I grabbed a couple snacks for my girls and some water and headed to my car. As I was pulling out I noticed a photographer was now taking pictures of people coming in on the last straight stretch. Another one of my favorite things is the running photos. I usually have to go to these things alone so having the picture as proof of my accomplishment is a cheesy but huge thing to me. I didn't recall seeing a photographer anywhere on the course. Once the pictures were posted it looks like he didn't start taking pictures until right after I finished. That means all the 1 mile, 5K, some 10K and half marathon people did not get their photo taken at all. I'm pretty disappointed in that.
I got a call once I got home from my friend, Rob, telling me I got first in my age division. I don't see how that was possible, but I'll take it. I got a cute Santa medal anyway for participating and I'll soon get the one for my "win." Overall I was excited to get out there and run. I enjoyed myself despite the not so perfect course and conditions. I'm just so thankful that I'm able to get out there and do it.
1 comment:
LOL!! So glad that I warned you and that I am not the only one with gripes.. They really need to work on the 1/2 course it is VERY confusing.. and to run anything above the 13.1 or 6.2 is maddening.
Look at those CUTE CUTE pictures!!
Congrats on your win.. I got a Pumpkin trophy. LOL!
Post a Comment