Thursday, April 30, 2009

Running


The main reason I started this blog was for my running. It has become such an important core of who I am. In the beginning I just walked fast and it progressed from there. I never dreamed in a million years that I would be able to "run" for any specific length of time or distance.
I went straight from running my first 5K in April 2006 to signing up for and completing my first marathon in October. I have since run the Portland Marathon 3 years in a row. Each time it has been an experience hard to put into words. From basically jumping in my first year by myself and not having friends & family there to each year since being able to have support has been wonderful. Running a marathon is such a crazy thing to most people. I don't think I fully understood the magnitude of it until I walked to the starting line that first marathon morning and found myself in a crowd of thousands while it was still dark outside. I have been so blessed to have so many friends support my craziness. To everyone who has ever been to one of my runs or will be I thank you with all my heart.
We have had our share of stressful events in the past few years. Running has helped me deal with those. Between the snow and flooding the girls and I were trapped in the house for many weeks. My treadmill was also lost in the flood so my running therapy was lost for awhile. I don't know about anyone else but eating seems to be a good thing to do when you are bored and stress doesn't help. I'm holding myself accountable for gaining some weight back that I swore would never return. The fact that I worked so hard to get where I was the first time make me even more frustrated with myself. I have been working hard to get back in gear since the Seattle Half Marathon is coming up. My blog and anyone who reads it will help hold me accountable to do what I'm supposed to be doing.
I'm not going to give up. I have lots of goals I want to accomplish with my running and in my life. I know that I will never be a fast runner and I'm okay with that. Just the fact that I can do it is a gift to me and hopefully one I can pass on and share with my girls. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

BJ Barnes said...

I'm amazed with anyone who can run miles, and to do it consistantly, like you do! It's fantastic!! :)
Every time I read one of your reports on facebook about how far you ran, or how many calories you burned, I cheer you on in my heart!
I can relate to that feeling of frustration, when you work hard and end up back-sliding again! The past three years that has been the story of my life! I too, am battling my weight, and am determined to get fit again! :) Hang in there! You are making it happen! :)

Heidi said...

I'm getting anxious to be able to start running again... I'll be back there with ya before too terribly long! :0)