Monday, July 16, 2012

Willow


Willow & her hula hoop :)
2 Weeks Old
4 Weeks Old

This blog was momentarily delayed by a little puppy named Willow.  My poor husband has wanted a bigger dog for quite awhile.  He wasn't feeling very manly in a house full of girls and a miniature dachshund.  Lucky for us he had a coworker who breeds purebred labs.  We've known for months that puppies were on the way.  When they were two weeks old, we met all 9 for the first time.  From the first day Makinley and Willow were BFF's.

6 Weeks Old

 Roxy & Willow








 My Mom radar was going off even the first day we had her.  I couldn't put my finger on it, but something wasn't right.  Her symptoms progressed.  She at times acted blind, disoriented, clumsy, would cry, and the last week also started to lose weight.  She wouldn't eat or drink the last day while we waited for her blood work.  It was heart breaking.  She was supposed to be Jason's dog but I was the one getting up with her, training her, holding her when she had one of her episodes, and even when she was having a really bad time, she always responded to my voice.  She was my baby.  She was my future body guard and running companion.  She was the sweetest puppy we have ever had.

Saturday morning we got the call from the vet that the best thing we could do would be to euthanize her.  Her blood work showed many abnormalities.  Photos and video I took over the course of having her also confirmed the worst.  Surgery and food could be used to treat her condition but she could end up having numerous surgeries with the possibility of zero change.  He said she would never be a normal puppy/dog.  With her losing weight so quickly, the vet just didn't see things ending well.  She was born with a shunt condition that caused her many symptoms.  This may have been because she was the runt.  Usually this is a condition they see in smaller breed dogs.  Seizures would have been next.  As a family we decided to take her in together.  We were with her every step of the way.  The girls and I were constantly touching her and talking to her.  Makinley finally had to go sit with Jason as she quietly left us.  We brought her favorite blanket to bring her home in.  After a weekend of tears, Willow is buried in our backyard underneath my willow tree.  Our hearts are broken and our home is very quiet without her.


With all her special issues I feel like I haven't slept in 3 weeks.  She was totally worth it.  I can't believe she was only part of our family for that long.  I know this isn't running related but I thought you all would like to know why my Seattle RNR Race Report has been delayed.  We got her the day after :)  I am now working on 2 race reports and prepping for the Spokane to Sandpoint Relay that is coming up in August.

Stay tuned...heart mending in progress.

8 comments:

Louise Cunningham said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a heartbreak to lose a beloved family member like Willow. We went through that also, and it sure hurts. Be comforted by the pictures and memories you have of her, and know that She knows her life was blessed by your family's love.. :)

Johann said...

I am really sorry about Willow. That is so sad. I'm a pet lover and feel your pain. They are so special. Willow was lucky to be with you for that short time.

Robin said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. It's very difficult to make these decisions for our pets, but I think that it's our responsibility to do what's best for them. That's what you did and my heart breaks for you having to do it. I recently had to put on of my cats down and it's never easy. All the best to you and your family.

BJ Barnes said...

Truly sorry for your family's loss. She looks like she was a sweat heart. Hope after some healing has taken place there will be another lab pup in your family's future.

Mark said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. She was a VERY cute doggie.

Hope you can get out there for some therapy and channel that energy into positive results.

Hang in there!

NattyBumpo said...

That is NO fun. I'm so sorry...I may or may not have a small relay race in my future...say the end of August... Shhh

Lindsay said...

:( i am so sorry! how heartbreaking :( willow was adorable. hate that animals (and people) are sometimes stuck with weird, unfixable health issues. you gave her the best life possible - though it was short it was full of love!

Sara said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss. My heart is broken for you. Please know you are in my thoughts. My dogs are my babies - I can't imagine. Take care.