Today the whole family participated in the Back To School Dash 5K Run/Walk. Dean & Nicky were signed up so they could walk it with Makinley. Jason and I were ready to run it with Makenna. I figured whoever kept up with who the best would stick together. When the race started Jason and Makenna shot out in front. They slowed down though and I was able to pass them. I kept expecting to see Makenna again at any time since her first 5K last October she finished in 30 minutes. A very impressive time for someone her age. The race didn't start until 9:30am which is pretty late. They normally start anywhere between 7-8am. Of course after all the rain we had a beautiful day which was great but it was already getting pretty hot. The course was out and back and I passed all my family members on the way back. They all seemed in good spirits except for Makenna. Her new shoes weren't working out like we had hoped and were causing her some pain. She just wanted to run. I made it to the finish where they barely had anything left to drink. My time was 36:15 which didn't seem like a good time at all. It was only supposed to be a 3.1 mile course. Eventually the rest of the family made it to the finish. The people who were flagging the course had stopped and there were a lot of runners who had trouble getting through the last intersections, which included the dreaded Wal-Mart intersection. Scary enough in a car let alone on foot and with so many children running the course. I wasn't too happy with the whole experience. It was supposed to be a family event that was a run/walk and there were so many people who they didn't even give an official time. Also to pay an entry fee and not even have refreshments and food at the finish was not acceptable. I talked to a few people and voiced my unhappiness about many of the problems. I'm hoping that they can remember this and try to make the event more successful next year.
FYI-I also drove the course and found that it was well over 3 1/2 miles instead of 3.1.
No comments:
Post a Comment