Monday, August 3, 2009

Broken Arm


Our attempt at a laid back Sunday evening went horribly wrong. Makinley fell by the swing set and ended up breaking her arm. She seemed alright at first, just a small abrasion on her arm and she was obviously upset. She seemed to be able to move it but I just knew something was wrong. She was holding her arm different. It was already past 9PM and she wanted to go to bed. I put her down but kept checking on her. About an hour later she woke up very upset and her arm had swelled a lot. We got everyone up and headed to the ER. Several hours and x-rays later we got the results. The doctor thought he would be funny and started out saying she had a "little" break. Then he proceeded to tell us she needed to see a surgeon and so the referral to Seattle Children's Hospital was made.

Our appointment is for Tuesday to see the surgeon. Depending on what they find they may possibly keep her for surgery. Until then we are staying pretty still. Makinley has been a trooper. I feel so bad for her.

As you can see, her arm doesn't look normal. No wonder it hurts so much. This is what a supracondylar humerus fracture looks like. I don't recommend them.

No comments: