Today was my second attempt at the Cheddar Challenge 8 mile run in Toledo, WA. I was excited. I'm a dork and still love the town that I graduated in. I also love cheese, so it's a great combination :)
I was able to convince someone else to run with me. Last year my friend, Heidi, ran it. This year one of the young men that go to our church ran with me. Cody Lambert is the bishop's son and also an amazing runner. This is the 3rd race he has done with me.
Last year I was able to get first place overall female. I wanted it again so badly.
It was very warm today. The sun was hot as the race began. There wasn't a water stop during the race until after mile 5. I cheated though and had on my new North Face Gulper pack. I'm glad too. I am a nasty, sweaty runner so I wouldn't have been doing as well on such a warm day if I didn't have it. Around mile 6 I was bitten by a dog. I heard it barking and before I knew it it had snagged my sock. I had to kick it off and then scream at it to back off. I have never been scared of dogs. I WAS angry over the fact that I had to use so much time slowly distancing myself from the dog so I could start running again. With about 1 1/2 miles to go Cody met me to finish out the race with me. That meant a lot. If Cody wasn't leaving for his mission I'm sure he could help make me faster. I finished all happy thinking that I was the first female again. Then I learned that another woman had finished in front of me but she hadn't even ran the same course and there was no way to tell if she even ran 8 miles. They still gave her the plaque. I was a little bummed but I was still happy that I felt so good and had someone to run with. I left with my ribbon, certificate, and my baby loaf of cheddar cheese.
BTW-Cody took best overall finisher in the 8 mile. I'm so proud.
Finish Time 1:26:25
No comments:
Post a Comment